Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Accounting team at Planet is seeking an extremely motivated and experienced Staff Accountant as we continue to scale and grow. As a Staff Accountant at Planet, you are someone who is able to roll up your sleeves for a hands-on experience supporting the month end close for a company that creates meaningful change. The responsibilities extend beyond reconciliations to also include managing the manufacturing corporate card activities, certain business tax compliance and driving process improvements. To be successful in this role, you must have excellent accounting knowledge, pay attention to detail, and embrace challenges as opportunities for success to expand and grow with the company.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Manage new vendor and vendor modification process
- Responsible for processing payments, including wires, ACH, and checks
- Manage manufacturing corporate card activities
- Responsible for month-end general ledger close processes and activities including the preparation and review of journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, and supporting schedules
- Analyze expenses to ensure they are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis
- Assist on labor capitalization in various areas, such as internal use software, satellite building and commissioning efforts
- Develop and maintain desktop procedures for on-going accounting activities
- Assist with certain business tax filings and other compliance items
- Assist with compiling and preparing support required for annual audits
- Recommend changes and assist in driving improvements on accounting processes, documentation, and procedures
- Act as backup for other team members with areas of work including accounts payable, payroll, and tax compliance
- Support ad hoc projects as needed
What You Bring:
- 2-3 years of accounting experience
- A high degree of ownership over projects and results
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and follow through on tasks
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy and data integrity; excellent reconciliation skills
- Team-oriented mindset and a desire to continuously learn and improve
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other quantitative major
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Positive, get-it-done attitude and agile approach to problem solving
- Experience with NetSuite or equivalent ERP system
- Experience with Coupa
- Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $63,300 - $79,100. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.