Primer exists to make the world a safer place. We do this by providing trusted decision-ready AI to the world's most critical organizations. Our software enables leaders, operators, and analysts to better understand the changing world around us in real time and make informed decisions when the stakes are high. Primer has offices in Arlington, VA and San Francisco, CA. For more information, please visit https://primer.ai/
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead and grow a team with diverse skill sets to deliver world-class solutions to our customers. You will partner with product leadership to define vision and build roadmaps. Most importantly, you will engender and foster a strong sense of trust amongst a diverse, multi-disciplinary team of engineers, data scientists and ML experts. You will be responsible for adding new members to the team across disciplines, helping to bring them into the fold and getting them to success. You will ensure a high quality product through rigorous approaches and processes, and in the spirit of the best current AI thinking. This role requires a breadth of expertise, an ability to learn quickly, and an eagerness to engage in collaboration across the company.
Role Responsibilities - How You Will Make an Impact:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Product, Design, Research, Sales) to support a strategic and tactical tech roadmap that tackles business needs
- Inspire and guide, explaining technical concepts to nontechnical partners and business decisions to the engineering team
- Provide mentorship and help both data scientists and engineers achieve things as a group that they didn't know they were capable of achieving
- Evangelize Primer’s team and mission to customers
- Oversee the relevance, on-time delivery, scalability, and reliability of your team’s production services
- Contribute to architecture and design efforts by serving as the technically savvy voice that asks the right business and product questions
Relevant Skills and Experience:
- M.Sc. or similar in computer science, statistics, computational linguistics, or other quantitative field.
- Experience developing and deploying data and algorithm driven software products
- Experience in managing teams of data scientists and engineers, and in sourcing candidates and hiring
- Excellent communication and leadership skills to lead and facilitate architecture reviews, tech talks, and external evangelism
- Experience with machine learning, focusing particularly on natural language processing.
- Experience in distributed computing, preferably including working with AWS/Azure, the Elastic stack, and Kubernetes.
- Passionate about driving the performance of machine learning applications towards the state of the art, and in challenging us to continually improve what is possible.
- Proven track record of creating and managing high performing teams of software engineers and data scientists
- Proven track record of guiding and growing the overall competence of an organization via hiring and training
- Experience delivering mission critical software to public sector organizations
- Proven track record in natural language processing, information retrieval, machine learning, or similar technologies
- Demonstrated experience deploying and maintaining machine learning solutions, supporting hosted and on-premises software across multiple industries.
The annual cash compensation range for this position is US$245,000 to US$295,000. Final compensation will be determined based on experience and skills and may vary from the range listed above.
What We Offer
We are a series D funded company with investors from Addition, USIT, Lux Capital, Amplify Partners, Addition Capital, Bloomberg Beta, and others.
We are intentional around building a diverse and inclusive team of subject matter experts to better advocate for the needs of our users.
We care a lot about our work and about the well being of our team. We encourage everyone to work at a sustainable pace and have an unlimited vacation policy for team members to utilize, Wellness Days and 100% paid leave for parents of growing families.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. This includes full medical, dental, and vision coverage, fertility benefits through Carrot, mental health coverage on demand with Ginger, 401(k) (US employees), remote work stipends, and monthly internet allowance.
Primer is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.