Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You'll Make
- Promote a DevSecOps culture at Recursion. You'll partner with teams throughout Recursion to help them improve their capabilities to build and operate software quickly and reliably.
- Accelerate software development. You will be on a team that builds and maintains the development tools that allow our world-class software engineers to reliably ship new code into production on a daily basis.
- Improve infrastructure to be as efficient and reliable as possible. When you are processing 70+ terabytes of new images a week, and training models against large image sets from our over 8+ petabytes of images and 4+ petabytes of video, smart and insightful optimization and automation can make a huge difference.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor. You will share your technical knowledge and experiences, delivering impact, learning, and growth within and beyond the team.
- Deliver at scale. Achieve quarterly goals, setting and adjusting expectations based on regular, iterative feedback. We are industrialized biotechnology - through standardization and automation, we are scaling drug discovery to radically improve lives.
The Team You'll Join
The Infrastructure and Tools team is a team of engineers with backgrounds in infrastructure automation, software development, DevOps and DevSecOps. The team develops and maintains Recursion’s Internal Developer Platform, Observability Platform and Cloud Infrastructure enabling people throughout the tech organization to build and deliver new functionality; helping us find new treatments for disease. Every software engineer, data scientist, and automation engineer should be able to make changes that ship to production in a seamless and automatic manner. The platforms developed and maintained by your team make it as easy as possible to create new applications, integrate them with our infrastructure, and deliver capability to our scientists - automatically, reliably and at scale. Note that as a core infrastructure team, we operate a 24/7/365 on-call rotation
You will report to the Engineering Manager, Infrastructure and Tools.
This position is based at our headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah OR our offices in Toronto, Ontario.
The Experience You'll Need
- You should have some experience collaborating on technical teams and being resourceful and collaborative in order to complete large projects. We don't have much in the way of project managers.
- You must have a people-first mindset. Our team are developer advocates and we always prioritize supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
- You should have experience, in whole or in part, with our existing infrastructure or similar technologies.
- Our cloud services provider of choice is Google Cloud Platform and our compute offering is largely built around kubernetes.
- We leverage Kubernetes Engine for clusters and build a tailored technology stack that includes linkerd, cert-manager, velero, nginx, pomerium and other open source tools.
- Our software engineers use PostgreSQL for most of our databases, Kafka (Confluent Cloud) for data streaming and eventing patterns and Redis for caching.
- Our applications are mostly Python for backend and ReactJS for frontend, with bespoke services built in Clojure and Go.
- We leverage the Prometheus, Loki, Grafana stack for server-side logs and metrics, Rollbar for client-side and Open Telemetry + Honeycomb for tracing.
- You should be comfortable working with current tools and methodologies to deploy and maintain infrastructure-as-code. We make extensive use of terraform, yaml and python for the majority of our work and are using GitOps workflows built on Spacelift, CodeFresh and ArgoCD to ‘automate all the things’. We build our systems to be reliable and resilient allowing our development teams to build on a stable, assured and scalable infrastructure foundation.
- You should thrive in a learning and teaching environment, intellectual curiosity is a must! We are constantly researching and testing new approaches, tooling, and practices before they are expected to be needed, and we partner with other teams to promote learning and improvement across the tech organization.
How You’ll be Supported
- Peer mentor assigned for onboarding during first 90 days
- Work is typically completed using mobbing or pairing
- Regular 1:1s with supervisor for support and feedback
- Weekly retros facilitate team cohesion
- Attendance to one technical conference per year paid for by company
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.