Machine Learning Intern
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
As a Machine Learning Intern, you will contribute to building foundation models leveraging a range of data types including vision and other Omics that will power a diverse range of use cases in drug discovery. By leveraging your experience in machine learning, software engineering, infrastructure, and data, you will:
- Contribute to developing algorithms and architectures and training large models on huge datasets by distributing across 100s of GPUs
- Explore properties of the resulting representation model on a range of benchmarks
- Work collaboratively alongside machine learning engineers, researchers, and product managers
The Team You’ll Join
Recursion has built a unique dataset (over 1 million unique biological perturbations profiled in a high-dimensional biological assay, making up nearly 20 PB of highly-relatable data) and a unique approach to phenotypic drug discovery using our inference-based Recursion Map to predict tens of billions of relationships between disease models and therapeutic candidates. Additionally, we’ve generated large-scale Omics datasets to complement our phenomics data.
You will join a team of machine learning engineers and scientists working on building foundation models that power a range of use cases at Recursion. Our team’s recent preprint, Masked autoencoders are scalable learners of cellular morphology, highlights the success of this approach at capturing biological signals in microscopy images. We’re continuing to push the boundaries of foundation models by leveraging even larger datasets with additional modalities and more compute, leveraging one of the industry's most advanced supercomputers. The capabilities you bring to the team will help us scale our foundation models and develop net-new capabilities that don’t currently exist!
The Experience You’ll Need
- Expert knowledge of deep learning theory and practice including the ability to:
- Managing datasets (experience with biological data is a plus)
- Contribute to the development or implementation of algorithms and architectures, particularly leveraging self-supervised learning
- Run large scale experiments evaluating 100s of hyper parameters and scaling experiments to 100s of GPUs
- Run and interpret benchmarks for assessing model performance
How You’ll be Supported
- You will join an interdisciplinary team that has a major impact internally and externally
- You will contribute to conference publications and have the opportunity to attend major ML conferences
- You will collaborate with other cutting edge teams at Recursion, including Valence Labs at Mila in Montreal
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.