Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will be building a platform that accelerates drug discovery with machine learning for a wide variety of use cases with respect to data modality, model architecture, and model size. By leveraging your experience in machine learning, software engineering, infrastructure, and data, you will:
- Build our machine learning platform from a mixture of off-the-shelf and custom tooling as needed to enable the full model lifecycle from development through deployment
- Partner with ML teams actively developing models to onboard them to platform capabilities
- Continuously optimize the platform to support our emerging machine learning research capabilities and evolving use case needs
- Steer the direction for ML tooling, improve technical standard and advocate for best practices
- Inspire your team and stakeholders alike to find the best outcome by facilitating constructive dialogue, reconciling perspectives into a unified view
You will not:
- Be responsible for developing machine learning models
This position is based at our office in Toronto, Canada OR our headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The Team You’ll Join
The ML Infra team vision is to build and maintain a centralized platform composed of best-in-class tooling for doing machine learning. We strive to make machine learning easy and accessible across the organization by offering low barrier-to-entry solutions for building machine learning pipelines from development through deployment. In a rapidly evolving landscape of ML Ops tooling, we aim to foster a culture of continuous learning and growth to stay informed of emerging technologies, and prudently incorporate them into the platform as makes sense for Recursion’s dynamic portfolio of use cases. We seek to integrate with the Data Platform and HPC to fully leverage the power of the Recursion OS.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Experience designing and building large distributed systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily
- Proficiency with the full lifecycle of ML and software development in production, including:
- Data preparation, model training, evaluation, deployment, and monitoring
- Releasing, and maintaining mature ML products
- Authoring well tested, scalable, documented code, peer reviews, CI/CD
- Ability to own projects in a collaborative open environment
- Ability to be a mentor, coach, and sponsor to peers and colleagues
- Nice to haves: PyTorch, NumPy, Pandas, GCP, Hybrid Cloud, Linux, CUDA, Docker, Kubernetes, SLURM, BigQuery, large scale distributed systems
How You’ll be Supported
- A member of the ML Infra team will be your trail guide to ensure smooth onboarding
- You will be encouraged to attend one conference of your choice per year paid for by Recursion in support of our value of ‘We Learn’
- You will be provided opportunities to share your work and teach others new skills through weekly initiatives like Friday Wins and Tech Talks
- You will have the option to participate in coaching like BetterUp for leadership skills and development programs
- Our team will get together in person once a quarter (usually in Salt Lake or Toronto) to build alignment and motivation as well as spend quality time with one another
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
- Developing: Will be updated shortly
- Skilled: Will be updated shortly
- Expert: Will be updated shortly
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for United States based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for US new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.