Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer, you will be building a platform that accelerates drug discovery with machine learning for a wide variety of use cases with respect to data modality, model architecture, and model size. By leveraging your experience in machine learning, software engineering, infrastructure, and data, you will:
- Partner with Machine Learning and Data Scientists to develop, improve, and deploy models to our production platform
- Build our machine learning platform from a mixture of off-the-shelf and custom tooling as needed to enable the full model lifecycle from development through deployment
- Deploy new algorithms and architectures to our platform and train large models by distributing across 100s of GPUs
- Develop new benchmarks for interpreting model behavior and explore properties of the resulting data representations
- Continuously optimize the ML platform to support our emerging machine learning research capabilities and evolving use-cases
- Steer the direction for ML tooling, improve technical standard and advocate for best practicesInspire your team and stakeholders alike to find the best outcome by facilitating constructive dialogue, reconciling perspectives into a unified view.
Location: This is a hybrid position is based at our office in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The Team You’ll Join
Recursion has built a unique dataset (over 1 million unique biological perturbations profiled in a high-dimensional biological assay, making up nearly 20 PB of highly-relatable data) and a unique approach to phenotypic drug discovery using our inference-based Recursion Map to predict tens of billions of relationships between disease models and therapeutic candidates. Additionally, we’ve generated large-scale Omics datasets to complement our phenomics data.
You will join a team of machine learning engineers and machine learning & data scientists working on building models that power a range of applications at Recursion. Our team has developed foundation models in chemistry and cellular morphology, and is home to a suite of other application-specific ML models that power Recursion’s drug-discovery platform. We’re continuing to push the boundaries of applied ML by leveraging even larger datasets with additional modalities and more compute, leveraging one of the industry's most advanced supercomputers. The capabilities you bring to the team will help us scale our foundation models, develop net-new ML capabilities, and drive tangible impact on the drug discovery process as Recursion!
The Experience You’ll Need
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer, proficiency with the basic lifecycle of ML and software development in production is essential, including:
Data preparation, model training, evaluation, deployment, and monitoringReleasing, and maintaining mature ML productsAuthoring well tested, scalable, documented code, peer reviews, CI/CD
Further, expert knowledge of deep learning theory and practice is critical for this role, including the ability to:
- Curate and build datasets (experience with biological data is a plus)Develop net-new algorithms and architectures, particularly leveraging self-supervised learning
- Run large scale experiments evaluating 100s of hyper parameters and scaling experiments to 100s of GPUs
- Develop and interpret benchmarks for assessing model performanceSupport productionizing large models, potentially leveraging techniques like quantization and distillation
- Present your work conferences and author journal publicationsOwn and drive projects in a collaborative environmentBe a mentor, coach, and sponsor to peers and colleagues
Tools: PyTorch, NumPy, Pandas, GCP, Hybrid Cloud, Linux, CUDA, Docker, Kubernetes, BigQuery, SLURM, large scale distributed systems
How You’ll be Supported
- You will join and actively learn in an amazing community of engineers and scientists in the fields of ML, software, data, biology, chemistry, and more.
- You will contribute to conference publications and have the opportunity to attend major ML conferences.
- You will be provided opportunities to share your work and teach others new skills, and learn from a wide range of experiences of others both in and outside of your field of expertise.
- You will have the option to participate in coaching programs like BetterUp for leadership skills and development programs.
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
- Developing: 215,000 CAD
- Skilled: 226,000 CAD
- Expert: 242,000 CAD
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for Canada based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for Canadian new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.