Staff Automation Engineer
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
We are looking for someone that is both excited about and effective at scaling and optimizing laboratory processes. You will advance Recursion’s industry leading robotic platforms, keeping them innovative and reliably generating exponentially larger amounts of purposeful data. You will drive value by partnering with leading experts in biology, chemistry, engineering, data science and others, helping them navigate the trade-offs of time, costs, complexity, and quality when bringing new assays onto our platforms. You will deliver on automation software and hardware solutions that enable those teams and progress our mission. Your deep systems thinking and understanding of laboratory processes will enable you to create the systems that will handle Recursion’s diverse sets of biological and chemical inputs and execute on the nearly 2.2 million wet lab experiments per week, while solving how to scale to the next ten-million.
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery on a mission to radically improve lives. We are working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Solve Optimization problems - find the most efficient processing that provides the highest quality results while reducing processing time.
- Robotic Process Automation - program the machines to do the work. You will build and use existing technology to create higher quality repeatable data, process more laboratory experiments, reduce failures, decrease costs, and empower the laboratory to process experiments with maximum efficiency.
- Develop Self-Healing Automation Processes - keep the robots healthy, happy, and working hard. Develop processes for the automatic detection and correction of issues before they impact the quality of our work.
- Create Recursion’s Laboratory Automation - You will develop the newest laboratory systems that generate data for our world-class phenotypic and chemical screening laboratories.
This position is based at our headquarters in Salt Lake City
The Team You’ll Join
The Automation Engineering team is highly cross-functional and responsible for implementing and improving the laboratory processes used on Recursion's automation platforms. You will report to the Director of Automation Development at Recursion. The team collaborates with our laboratory, software, procurement teams, and often partners with external vendors to innovate laboratory operations. You will specialize in working with and building both laboratory hardware and software solutions. This team will build robotic workcells, optimize laboratory workflows, test and even build new equipment. This often involves writing software for automatically recovering from errors, designing electronics that will collect data from sensors and run devices, using good software practices for supporting robust and iterable software deployment pipelines, fabrication of new parts with micron precision from raw materials, and much more.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Experience building, diagnosing, integrating, and repairing complex electromechanical instruments
- 5+ years experience building integrated laboratory automation
- Experience with programming, python or C#
- Optimization - process for optimization operations
- Method development for validation of laboratory performance
- Experience working with automation logs and LIMS
- Experience with a variety of automated laboratory equipment such as:
- Echo liquid handlers
- automated cell imaging systems
- various peristaltic pump based microplate dispensers
- genetic analyzers
- chromatography machines
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical field related closely to Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Chemistry, or Biology
How You’ll be Supported
- Introductions to key stakeholders in the first month and an additional sync up in the third month, once you have a moment to settle in
- We will teach you about our tools and how to use them in the first few months
- Training and conferences, one of our core values is We Learn. If you have a training or conference that would be helpful in your career development, we will work with you to make that happen.
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
- Developing: $148,500
- Skilled: $165,000
- Expert: $181,500
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for United States based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for US new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.