Certified Welding Inspector
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Stennis team at Relativity Space is responsible for designing, building, and operating world-class test stands to support the Terran 1 and Terran R stages, engines, and propulsion components. As part of this team, you will help build and operate massive outdoor test stands at the historic Stennis Space Center on the Gulf Coast, the largest rocket engine test complex in the country. Unique to this location, you will have the opportunity to get hands-on the fully integrated engine and stage assemblies, push the hardware to the limits, and witness rocket engines firing up close and personal! This team is critical to the launch success of Terran 1, continued development of Terran R, among many other firsts! Check out this video to learn more about the Stennis test team.
What you’ll do:
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As the site Certified Welding Inspector, you will be responsible for the development and execution of the site welding inspection program for all structural, vessel, and process piping systems in partnership with the ground systems engineering and build teams. You must be able to develop your own procedures and standards documents and be proficient in a variety of inspection methodologies.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast-paced, varied background, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups. More specifically, we are looking for someone to:
- Perform visual inspections on welded products in progress and completed jobs
- Inspect weld jobs for defects such as cracks, porosity, undercut etc
- Record results of tests and welding inspections
- Issue and follow up on non-conformances until project close out
- Inspect structural steel erection of test stands and facility construction and retrofitting
- Plan, coordinate, and oversee any outsourced weld-related and certain material inspections
- Review welded assemblies and provide input to engineers on the weldability and correct processes to use
- Provide input on decisions of whether to accept or reject a given weldment
- Document all quality assurance activities, consistent with company policies and procedures
- Communicate significant issues or developments identified during quality assurance activities and provide recommended process improvements to management
- Inspect, test, or measure materials, products, installations, or work for conformance to specifications
- Measure dimensions of products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as rulers, calipers, gauges, or micrometers
- Optionally: conduct other testing (example: soil, concrete, etc) and document results
- Be aware of, and adhere to, safety practices and policies to ensure your own safety, as well as the safety of others who may be affected by your actions at work
What you need to know:
- AWS Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) Certification
- Minimum 5+ years of weld inspection experience
- Ability to read drawings, understand, interpret, and explain callouts and tolerances
- Must be able to periodically work off shifts and overtime
- Demonstrated hands-on fabrication experience of some type
Nice to haves but not required:
- National Board PEI Inservice and Repair Certification
- Prior experience with cryogenic, high pressure, or flammable fluid systems
- Prior field experience as a welder, pipefitter, and/or fabricator
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?