Principal Avionics Hardware Engineer
We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Avionics team is responsible for the design, testing, and production of electronic systems on the Terran 1 and Terran R launch vehicles. As a member of this team, you will be responsible for avionics hardware designs that work with multiple vehicle systems including but not limited to vehicle sensors, propulsion, computing, actuation, energy management, and communications. Avionics operation is critical to the successful flight of Terran 1, the world’s first 3D printed rocket.
What you’ll do:
- Drive the design and development of launch vehicle electronics hardware such as flight computers, power distribution systems, actuator systems, navigation systems, communication systems, etc
- Work with partner teams such as propulsion, GNC, mechanisms, launch, etc. to define system requirements, interfaces, and understand system performance impacts of avionics designs
- Make complex technical decisions (risk tradeoffs, evaluation of trade studies, anomaly investigations, etc.) based on physical principles and experience
- Define avionics system requirements and system architecture
- Guide engineers in hardware design in at least one of three areas: power electronics, digital electronics, or mixed signal electronics
- Foster strong engineering culture in the team through mentorship, training, and development of engineering processes and principles (design reviews, root cause investigations, etc.)
- Communicate complex avionics concepts to a wide variety of audiences
- Bring clarity and direction to ambiguous technical problems
- Identify opportunities to leverage new technologies in the development of avionics systems
What you need to know:
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- 10+ years of experience in electronics hardware design in at least one of these areas:
- Power electronics: motor drives and control, DC-DC converters, load switches, high voltage DC electronics
- Digital electronics: high speed serial interfaces (SPI, PCIe, Ethernet, etc.); memory interfaces; design for SoCs, microcontrollers, and microprocessors
- Mixed-signal electronics: ADCs, DACs, signal conditioning, amplifier circuits, filter design, etc.
- Experience driving rigorous engineering process (requirements capture, design reviews, design verification, etc.)
- Experience working with highly cross-functional teams (mechanical, thermal, electrical, software, etc.) to develop integrated electronics solutions
- Experience mentoring engineers in engineering best-practices and domain-specific technical principles
- Comfortable communicating deeply technical topics to a wide variety of audiences
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with design of electronics for harsh environments (vibe, thermal, vacuum, radiation, etc.)
- Experience with design of electronics for mission-critical applications (aviation, automotive, robotics, spacecraft, medical)
- Experience with system architecture development for complex electronics systems
- Experience leading a team of engineers
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace