Staff Avionics Hardware Engineer
We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Avionics team is responsible for the design, testing, and production of electronic systems on the Terran 1 and Terran R launch vehicles. As a member of this team, you will be responsible for avionics hardware designs that work with multiple vehicle systems including but not limited to vehicle sensors, propulsion, computing, actuation, energy management, and communications. Avionics operation is critical to the successful flight of Terran 1, the world’s first 3D printed rocket.
What you’ll do:
As an Avionics Hardware Engineer, you will be responsible from concept to requirements definition, development, schematic + PCB design, and flight production of avionics hardware. We refer to this role as a Responsible Engineer as it is a multi-faceted position requiring deep electrical engineering fundamental knowledge, good project management skills, and the ability to communicate with other company stakeholders throughout the life of a project. As an example, which can change with vehicle maturity and company priorities, the following rough timeline is representative of work at Relativity Space as an Avionics EE. Within the first three months of joining Relativity Space a new Avionics Hardware Engineer would become familiarized with the avionics architecture of the Terran 1 launch vehicle and take ownership of their project(s). Within six months it is reasonable to have engineering development hardware produced for verification of architecture and design goals on new technology. If a more mature project is taken over such as an update to an existing hardware design, then it may be installed on a vehicle for flight during this time. Within one year an Avionics Hardware Engineer would have produced a new flight intent design of a conceptual project.
What you need to know:
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, electronics engineering, or related field
• 2+ years’ experience designing circuits
• Familiarity implementing technology such as but not limited to ADCs, DACs, microcontrollers, and point of
load power supplies
• Familiarity with digital communications methods such as but not limited to SPI, Ethernet, CANbus, and RS422.
• Circuit simulation experience (SPICE, PSPICE, LTSPICE, etc)
• Comfort using schematic & PCB design tools such as Altium Designer
• Ability to use signal generators, oscilloscopes, and other test equipment to verify hardware designs
• Ability to identify project requirements from stakeholders
Nice to haves but not required:
• High-speed digital experience such as processors and memory > 1GHz clock speed
• Low-noise analog signal conditioning and sensor interface design
• High power/voltage switching and power conversion circuit design
• Experience designing RF circuitry used in the VHF and microwave spectrum
• Ability to use Visio or related tool to architect block diagrams
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace