Senior Fluid Systems Test Engineer
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Dev Test team is responsible for all hazardous testing in our Long Beach facilities. We use our breadth of experience and collaborative engineering approach to support everything from very large structural tests to precise valve actuation. To that end, we design, build, and operate all test assets from initial concept to test execution. If you enjoy working on a multi-disciplinary team with a broad mandate and want to put hands on hardware, then this is the team for you.
What you’ll do:
As a Staff Fluid Systems Test Engineer, you will own 1 or more integrated systems for the test, transport, and execution of Terran R at our facility in Long Beach, CA. As a system owner, you will design, analyze, and operate automated hydraulic, cryogenic, hydrostatic, or pneumatic systems. While teamwork and communication skills are critical, this position requires a significant amount of individual design and analysis work. As the designs wrap up, you will continue to drive your projects through commissioning and initial operations.
Examples of your tasks may include:
- Designing test systems including their mechanical, fluid, and electrical components
- Writing test automation sequences
- Identifying areas for improvement and implementing required changes
- Commissioning new test assets and systems
- Completion as a presenter and reviewer of fault tolerance analysis meetings
- Planning and executing test campaigns
What you need to know:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, or similar.
- 5+ years of experience designing, building, and commissioning complex fluid systems.
- Ability to translate system performance targets into component level requirements and demonstrated record of selecting components to meet those needs
- Ability to concisely communicate technical topics to audiences of many different backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex, multi-disciplinary projects on time and on budget.
Nice to have but not required:
- Experience planning and conducting time-critical, hazardous operations including recovery from off-nominal conditions
- Experience writing sequences or other software
- Familiarity with cryogenics
- Understanding of structural design principles
- Delivery of systems compliant with ASME B31.3 & BPVC
- Willing to work at heights, in confined spaces, in a dirty environment, and away from your desk.
- No previous aerospace experience is required for this position.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace