Thermal Engineer II
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Integrated Performance team at Relativity Space is responsible for ensuring that our rockets will achieve our overall objectives. Our department comprises teams responsible for Flight Sciences, including Aerodynamics, Thermal Science, Loads, and Dynamics; Vehicle Simulation & Performance; Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC); and Systems Engineering. We architect and execute analysis, simulation, and test projects for all of Relativity’s hardware and software teams in pursuit of mission success, and ensure that our designs and practices meet stringent customer and government requirements. Overall, this team is critical to the launch success of Terran R.
What you’ll do:
As a Thermal Engineer, you will play a key role in driving the Terran R launch vehicle’s initial architecture, and re-thinking launch vehicle thermal systems around large-scale 3D printing. You will work collaboratively with the Stage Engineering, Additive, Propulsion, Avionics, and Test teams to deliver thermal analysis and test projects on time and budget, while meeting our technical requirements. A high degree of autonomy along with an ability to prioritize work in our fast-paced environment is required.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Drive the architecture, sizing, and development of thermal systems like insulation, thermal protection, and environmental conditioning in collaboration with peer technical teams
- Build, execute, and validate thermal analyses at the component, sub-system, and vehicle level, including relevant tool development and automation
- Direct design and development engineers in the successful application of thermal sciences to achieve system and component requirements
- Develop and execute tests to support thermal systems development and qualification, including hands-on work like test article integration, instrumentation setup, and data processing
- Support vehicle and engine thermal system development and stage testing as well as flight operations
In order to be successful in this role, you should be self-motivated, adaptable and able to deliver in a fast-paced, integrated vehicle program. You should also be able to resolve ambiguity and drive tasks to completion. Ideally, you have thermal or fluids analysis experience as well as a proven track record completing projects successfully as part of a technical team. This position is ideal for engineers looking to make a direct impact on a variety of mission-critical systems and processes as a key member of a small team.
On a weekly basis, you will be performing analysis, directing design teams, supporting testing, and processing data. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly manage the documentation and communication of your actions, recommendations, and decisions.
What you need to know:
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or related field
- 2+ years experience in thermal analysis
- Proficiency in component- and system-level thermal and fluids analysis, using relevant toolsets like Sinda/Fluint & Thermal Desktop and commercial FEM/FDM/FVM solvers
- Experience in an analysis role on an integrated vehicle program
- Experience solving complex problems on integrated vehicles with design teams
- Experience with an engineering scripting language like MATLAB or Python
Nice to haves but not required:
- A graduate degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant experience
- Hands-on experience with testing, instrumentation, and data analysis at the component and system levels
- Familiarity with liquid rocket engine architectures or launch vehicle thermal protection systems
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?