Test Engineer Intern - Build & Operations - Fall 2023
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Stennis team at Relativity Space is responsible for designing, building, and operating world-class test stands to support the Terran 1 and Terran R stages, engines, and propulsion components. As part of this team, you will help build and operate massive outdoor test stands at the historic Stennis Space Center on the Gulf Coast, the largest rocket engine test complex in the country. Unique to this location, you will have the opportunity to get hands-on the fully integrated engine and stage assemblies, push the hardware to the limits, and witness rocket engines firing up close and personal! This team is critical to the launch success of Terran 1, continued development of Terran R, among many other firsts! Check out this video to learn more about the Stennis test team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBZkSgO4oZQ
What you’ll do:
As a Test Engineering Intern, you will be responsible for designing and operating rocket engine test stands for our Terran 1 and Terran R engines and stages. Interns at our Stennis facility work in partnership with experienced operations and ground systems engineers and technicians to build and modify test facilities, as well as participate in test campaigns to flight qualify our hardware. You will be directly engaged in daily test operations, maintenance, construction, and commissioning activities in the field. The internship may include aspects of both designing ground systems [Design focus] and conducting test operations [Operations focus].
- Design advanced propulsion test stands including 3D modeling, fluids, structural, and thermal analysis, fabrication drawings, fluids P&IDs, component lists, and detailed work instructions
- Supervise the construction, commissioning, and initial operations of these facilities
- Solve a variety of technical problems, across broad ranges of timeframe, complexity, cost, and long-term impact
- Support operations on and perform related improvements to existing test stands
- Create, modify, and optimize test sequences, procedures, and data review processes
- Conduct complex propulsion test operations to assess performance of rocket engines and stages
- Directly control and receive telemetry from the test stand and test articles through GUIs and an integrated software suite for control, automation, and data visualization
- Help develop new rocket engine propulsion designs based on real test data
- Potentially travel to production and launch locations, up to 25%
Past intern projects (just a few examples!)
- Rebuilt complex hydraulic system for high-speed, high-pressure valve actuators
- Wrote complex vehicle automation that was used for Terran1 stage test & launch
- Bulk LNG (Liquid Natural Gas) Storage system design, build, and commissioning
- Designed, built, and helped install removable flooring for engine testing
- Designed Stage 1 engine GUIs for 9x Aeon1 engines used during stage test & launch
- Designed run tank mounts, entered & cleaned tanks, helped install onto test stand
Skills/Competencies we're looking for:
- Current undergraduate or graduate student earning a degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a related field
- Prior experience in aerospace is not required
- Varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team
- Strong engineering fundamentals in thermal, structural, and fluids analysis
- Demonstrated drive to deliver on tight schedules, especially when unconventional & creative solutions are necessary
- Hands-on fabrication experience using common power tools for projects at work/home/school
- Ability to work occasional night shifts
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?