Lead Welding Engineer
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Additive Development team is responsible for maturing the core additive manufacturing technology used to produce Relativity’s orbital class launch vehicles. The Stargate Operations Team is responsible for onboarding new technology within Relativity’s Stargate class WAAM printers (Wire-Arc-Additive-Manufacturing), demonstrating readiness for production at scale.
What you’ll do:
As the Lead Welding Engineering, you’ll make critical contributions to our success:
- Build and lead a high performing team of weld technicians to effectively utilize large-scale print cells in producing industry-first prototype rockets
- Operationalize new additive technology, including supporting the deployment and application of new additive hardware, software, and processes into a manufacturing environment
- Champion a rigorous training and qualification program necessary to scale the weld team without sacrificing quality or consistency of operations
- Lead cross-functional troubleshooting and root-cause analysis of weld quality issues
- Support the design and implementation of a holistic set of weld metrics to inform improvement efforts and technology development
- Assist in optimizing and automating our processes, including HMI development, and collaborating with our data science and engineering teams to solve manufacturing problems in novel ways
- Document best practices and support adoption and maturity of quality management systems such as AS-9100
- Attract and retain top weld talent through application of high standards and personal coaching and mentoring
What you need to know:
- Applicants should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Welding Engineering or Master’s Degree in Welding Engineering
- 5+ years of experience demonstrating hands-on welding, process development, NDT evaluation, metallurgy, root-cause analysis, and quality control
- 5+ years of experience leading teams in a production or prototype environment
- Ability to make timely decisions in the face of complexity
- Ability to cope with a dynamic and high demand environment, effectively prioritizing and managing multiple efforts
- Evidence of leadership and mentoring experience
- Deep practical and theory-based understanding of the GMAW process
- Well versed material science understanding of aluminum alloys
- Diagnose weld defects and suggest corrective actions, both in repair and process optimization
- Can make recommendations on general part design based on limitations of the process
- Collaborate with other technicians and engineers to refine welding parameters to meet part requirements
- Excellent trouble shooting and problem-solving skills, including suggesting appropriate modifications to welding equipment and process to improve weld quality and rate
Nice to have but not required:
- Experience with arc additive processes
- Robotics experience
- Experience with additive manufacturing software packages
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?