Senior Materials and Processes Engineer, Advanced Structures
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
At Relativity, we re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown. The Materials and Processes Engineering Team plays a crucial role in this mission by evaluating and improving the materials that make our rockets. We are searching for a Materials Engineer, Advanced structures who will function as a key Materials Engineering focal point for Terran-R’s stage and structural sub-systems.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as an M&P focal for key Terran-R’s stage and structures engineering activities
- Research, trade, and select conventional and novel materials and processes for various structural applications
- Identify qualification envelopes, form test plans, and design characterization campaigns
- Develop, implement, and maintain technical specifications and engineering standards
- Drive statistically-driven experimental design and process improvement campaigns
- Interface with:
- Materials engineering staff to identify, define, and fill technology gaps
- Laboratory staff to characterize materials and processes
- Designers to support materials selection, allowables development, and analysis
- Manufacturing engineering to improve processes, troubleshoot issues and facilitate operations
- Quality assurance to facilitate specification compliance validation
- Product engineering to perform failure analysis and root cause and corrective action campaigns
- Leadership to elevate risks and overcome roadblocks
What you need to know:
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science or engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience relevant to the competencies listed below
- A strong commitment to accountability, collaboration, and execution
- A desire to establish and foster strong interdisciplinary relationships across the company
- An authentic, introspective, and inclusive mindset towards technical, interpersonal, and team growth and development
Nice to haves but not required:
- Expertise in weld engineering and/or direct energy deposition additive manufacturing platforms
- A thorough understanding of aluminum, Ni-based superalloy, or titanium metallurgy
- Prior work qualifying friction stir welding and/or conventional fusion aerospace-grade welds
- Familiarity with metallic corrosion prevention and control
- Solid background in statistical experimental design and design allowable development
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace