Manufacturing Engineer II, Additive Hardware
We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Additive Development team is responsible for development and maturing the core additive manufacturing technology used to produce Relativity’s orbital class launch vehicles. The Stargate Operations Team is responsible for operationalizing new technology within Relativity’s Stargate class WAAM printers (Wire-Arc-Additive-Manufacturing), demonstrating readiness for production at scale. We are looking for a Manufacturing Engineer to help champion lean manufacturing in our fourth generation print cells and develop robust build plans for Terran R primary structure hardware.
What you’ll do:
- Pioneer the path to high production volume WAAM printed components by executing process improvement/tooling projects to streamline printing operations.
- Develop build flows taking parts from weld wire (raw stock) to vehicle integration for first time printed hardware.
- Support printing development projects by owning manufacturing operations such as lifting, NDE, machining, repairs, etc.
- Author and maintain standard operating procedures for WAAM production operations.
- Clear barriers to production or development efforts by leading the charge for live issue resolution on the shop floor.
- Determine root causes of printing issues and implement corrective actions, driving procedure and business practice updates.
- Develop strong working relationships with the Engineering, Technician, and Additive Development teams core to the WAAM process.
- Strategize printing operations to produce brand new primary structure features and achieve design/quality requirements.
- Assist with developing the long-term MES solutions to enable high-quality, efficient primary structure manufacturing.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience building hardware in a manufacturing environment.
- Extensive experience authoring work instructions to build structural components/assemblies.
- Experience with design for manufacture and building a first article component/assembly.
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Experience managing large scope of ownership.
- Experience building hardware with arc welding processes.
- Expert in at least 2 of the following: welding, machining, trim and drill operations, CNC or robotic programming, lifting, tool design and fab, NDT, Lean manufacturing principles, etc.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Extensive hands-on experience building weldments with arc welding processes.
- Extensive knowledge of NDE processes.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace