Friction Stir Welding Weld Engineer II, Additive
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Weld Development team at Relativity Space is responsible for all post-additive and day-to-day welding operations. Our mission is to ensure the proper processes are developed, sustainable tools are built, and designs are created that support the manufacturing of the next generation in 3D printed rockets – Terran R through implementing creative solutions to previously unsolved challenges and challenging the status-quo on the stale evolution of traditional rocket manufacturing.
What you’ll do:
In this role, you will support the production of the launch vehicle’s primary structure through various weld process developments. You will work closely with design and manufacturing engineers to ensure welding processes are efficient and robust. We are expecting the Welding Engineer to develop a deep understanding of all supported processes and follow these processes from development to production.
What you need to know:
- B.S. in Welding Engineering, Welding Technology, or Engineering degree with relevant experience
- Hands-on experience with Friction Stir Welding fixed pin, self-reacting, and retractable pin
- Experience developing GTAW automated or semi-automated weld schedules
- Experience welding aluminum alloys
- Ability to create WPS and PQRs
- Knowledge of industry standards (AWS D17.1, D17.3, etc)
- Cross functional knowledge of fabrication and metal working methods such as cutting, grinding, and bending
- Strong knowledge of tooling and fixturing for welded structures
- Excellent trouble shooting and problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to multi-task and balance priorities based off of input from multiple departments
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with GMAW, RSW, and OTW
- Experience welding additively manufactured base materials
- Familiarity with additive technologies such as WAAM and LP-DED
- Familiarity with robotic welding applications
- Experience building and executing complex designs of experiments
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?