Principal Stage Development Engineer
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Stage Engineering Team is responsible for the design, analysis, validation and operability of our launch vehicle systems. As a stage engineer, you will be accountable for the ownership of high-level vehicle systems as part of a world-class engineering hardware team.
You will work collaboratively with the structures, mechanisms, fluids, avionics, additive, manufacturing, test and loads teams to design and execute a plan to successfully develop, launch and recover a rocket. A high degree of autonomy along with an ability to prioritize work in our fast-paced environment is required. We believe varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team. Prior experience in aerospace is not required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
The Principal, Stage Engineer’s mission is to deliver tested, flight-ready rocket stages to the launch site in record time that can be operated. To accomplish this, you will work with hardware owners in every discipline to participate in subsystem design, ensure smooth integration and plan vehicle testing. You will identify and drive vehicle trades to decisions, and you will help build the resulting hardware. Your experience and judgment will be essential in identifying disconnects and helping the team remove roadblocks. As a technical leader, you will also help build the engineering teams by hiring exceptional candidates.
You should be a technical leader with experience developing and fielding a complex system involving fluid systems, structures and mechanisms, and electronics and software. You should also be a strong project manager who knows how to adapt as plans change or the project hits setbacks to minimize schedule impacts and keep the team bought into the plan. You will have to deeply understand complicated problems and communicate them to multidisciplinary teams, so clear thinking and strong communication skills are important. Hands on integration experience is important to quickly troubleshoot issues as they arise and effectively feedback suggestions to hardware designers. On a weekly basis, you will be providing guidance for the team, upholding the highest level of accountability, reviewing or creating cutting edge flight hardware, reviewing or performing analysis, as well as supporting fabrication and testing of your team’s components. Designs will be optimized for our additive manufacturing methods, for which fundamental knowledge is crucial. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and move forward your recommendation when decisions are needed.
What you need to know:
- A degree in engineering or physical sciences (BS/MS/PhD) and 10+ years relevant work experience
- Experience working with hardware teams that are developing in computer aided design (CAD) & product lifecycle manager (PLM) software (ex. NX, Teamcenter)
- Experience guiding resolution of blockers or helping to find workarounds to critical issues
- Experience building schedules
- Direct experience building hardware that interfaces with electronics and software, or testing and operating systems with mechanical, electrical and software elements
- Experience working with interdisciplinary technical teams, ideally in a technical leadership capacity
- Extremely strong communication skills
- A strong track record of technical problem solving
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with integrated testing of rocket stages and/or launch operations
- Project management experience on a multidisciplinary project
- Experience in one off or development projects with a tight schedule, such as racing or high-performance aircraft
- Experience through the full life cycle of a single project, from idea through execution
- Prior work on structures, fluids, mechanisms
- Experience in a startup or agile environment
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?