Senior Director, EHS
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) team is responsible for risk management and regulatory compliance as it relates to frontline operations and manufacturing processes. We develop programs, processes, controls, and other solutions aimed at preventing injuries in the workplace, and maintaining compliance to local, state, and federal regulations. Additionally, we play a pivotal role in shaping company culture; creating an environment that fosters safety and operational excellence for our employees at Relativity Space, and ensuring we minimize our environmental impacts. We are looking for best in class EHS professionals who are looking for a fresh experience to hone their craft and are excited at the prospect of shaping the future of spaceflight.
What you’ll do:
- Develop an enterprise EHS strategy with systems, processes, and KPIs aimed at protecting Relativity employees, minimizing risk, and maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Develop strategic objectives focused on mitigating risk and proactively preventing work-related injuries.
- Support the environmental department managers/leads to minimize roadblocks in their strategic roll out of compliance strategies for new infrastructure development and process manufacturing operations.
- Be the liaison between the EHS organization and company executives on critical items that require awareness to reduce risks across manufacturing, test, and launch operations.
- Create strategic initiatives aimed at increasing employee engagement and enhancing Relativity Space’s safety culture.
- Lead and mentor Relativity EHS teams across manufacturing, test, and launch sites.
- Build EHS capabilities and skillset to ensure we have a diverse and productive EHS team.
- Develop enterprise risk assessment framework to assess safety risk and implement safety controls to drive down incident risk.
- Build strong relationships with frontline leaders and executives to drive improved safety performance and instill a sense of ownership, ensuring a secure and healthy workplace for all employees.
- Collaborate with essential regulatory and strategic partners, including but not limited to NASA, Space Force, FAA, OSHA, and Cal/OSHA.
What you need to know:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in an EHS role, including extensive management and leadership experience.
- Minimum of 5 years in aerospace, space, additive technologies, heavy manufacturing, or related industries.
- Experience supporting environmental permitting efforts for air, water, and soil emissions from manufacturing processes.
- Experience using and deploying EHS management system software such as Gensuite, EHS Insight, or Intelex.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and leading EHS teams spanning multiple states across the country.
- Knowledgeable of the extensive environmental compliance requirements related to aerospace manufacturing in Southern California.
- Extensive experience evaluating and implementing safety controls for robotic systems, automated manufacturing processes, additive technologies, high pressure systems, cryogenic fluids flammable liquids, and related technologies and hazards.
- Proficiency in writing technical programs and policies with a strong emphasis on the ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear and actionable EHS policies.
- Complex problem solving skills including the ability to develop EHS strategy or safety controls for advanced manufacturing technologies that may not have guiding consensus standards or OSHA regulations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to cultivate strong and collaborative relationships inside and outside the organization.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Professional EHS Certification such as CSP, CIH, CHMM, PE, or related certification.
- Experience providing EHS support in space vehicle manufacturing, testing, and launch operations.
- Experience implementing sustainability objectives to reduce carbon emissions.
- Familiarity with nuances of operating with facilities located in EPA NAAQS attainment and non-attainment regions.
- Experience managing hazardous waste and enterprise waste reduction systems and controls.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace