Senior Operations Test Engineer
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Factory Test team is responsible for all hazardous testing in our Long Beach facilities. We use our breadth of experience and collaborative engineering approach to support everything from very large structural tests to precise valve actuation. To that end, we design, build, and operate all test assets in Long Beach from initial concept to test execution. If you enjoy working on a multi-disciplinary team with a broad mandate and want to put hands on hardware, then this is the team for you.
What you’ll do:
The Senior Operations Test Engineer will plan, execute, and document complex test operations. In the planning phase, they will:
- Develop operational plans and act as a consultant for Vehicle Responsible Engineers.
- Write test plans, procedures, automation, and work instructions.
- Work closely with the design engineering teams to identify and mitigate concerns related to safety, efficiency, reliability, accessibility, and operability.
- Lead Test Readiness Reviews
During the execution phase, they will operate the test stands under both manual and computer control. In the event of unforeseen test conditions, they will use engineering first principles and system understanding to maintain a safe operational environment. The ideal candidate will thrive in high-stakes operational environments and remain calm and professional under pressure.
After test, the operations engineer will assist with data processing, retrospectives, and continuous improvement initiatives.
Many of our most important test stands are still in the design phase. As we wrap up design and transition to construction, you will be in a pivotal position to influence their development, providing input, feedback, and hands-on experience that will directly impact the design and functionality of these critical systems. As an early member of the operations team, you will also assume a critical role in team development and the formulation of our training and certification programs.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, or related field.
- 5+ years of experience operating complex equipment and/or planning complex operations.
- Proven ability to identify and mitigate safety concerns related to test operations.
- Demonstrated success in high-stress environments where time is of the essence.
- Strong first principles understanding of electrical and fluid systems.
- Basic troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to make decisions with incomplete information.
- While we make every effort to have a sustainable and predictable work schedule, sometimes test stands have their own plans. Must be able to work a shifted schedule as required.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Leadership potential: ability to take on leadership roles and responsibilities as the team expands
- Experience with aerospace testing
- Knowledge of cryogenic systems
- Comfortable with public speaking and leading meetings
- Certification with rigging and lifting equipment
- Willing to work at heights and in confined spaces
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace