Senior Vehicle Fluids Mechanical Engineer
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Vehicle Engineering Team is responsible for the design, analysis, and validation of our launch vehicle. As a Fluids Engineer, you will be solving the toughest thermal fluids challenges on the rocket as part of a world-class engineering hardware team.
You will work collaboratively with propulsion, GNC, manufacturing, test, launch, and other teams to design all fluids systems necessary to successfully launch and recover a rocket. A high degree of autonomy along with an ability to prioritize work in our fast-paced environment is required. We believe varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team. Prior experience in aerospace is not required
What you’ll do:
In this role, you will be responsible for the mechanical and structural implementation of the stage fluid systems, ensuring a reliable and efficient operation of our Terran R launch vehicle.
- Fluids routing and design trade studies
- Fluids hardware mounting structure design
- Fluid system hardware mechanical verification analysis including both hand calcs and FEA
- Structural design of mounting hardware for various fluid system component and routing
- Incorporate 3D printing methods and in fluid system mechanical design
- Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA)
The right person for this role will need to be someone who enjoys leading the way for the team on exploring new methods and design approaches. They will have end to end ownership of their designs and immediately see hardware you designed come to fruition. They must be flexible to changes in strategic direction and willing to take full ownership of their projects to ensure we as a company are producing the best possible product while incorporating innovative production methods into their designs.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or an equivalent engineering discipline
- 4+ years mechanical design experience
- Proficiency in commercial CAD package (NX, CREO, Solidworks)
- Experience with GD&T
- Project ownership experience
- Manufacturing experience or experience interacting with vendors
- Experience with fluid system components (fittings, seals, valves, regulators, etc.) and system testing
- Experience with FEA tools to analyze structural margins
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace