Senior Structures Responsible Engineer
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
As part of the structures team, you will be responsible for bringing critical flight structures and supporting components from design concept to physical hardware ready for launch.
Your goal, along with the team, is to deliver these projects on time and on budget. In order to achieve this, you will be working closely with our additive, manufacturing, design, test and loads teams.
What you’ll do:
The scope of work encompasses a full design cycle, including conceptualization, design, analysis, manufacturing and testing for primary and secondary structures related to Thrust Structure, Propellant Tanks, Interstage or Fairing, to name a few. You will need to think creatively and leverage innovation to reduce mass, parts, processes and tooling required.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Innovative conceptualization of structural load path, design for complex structures and adjacent system packaging.
- Review of static & dynamic load inputs, material properties & test as well as structural systems & subsystems requirements.
- Analysis and sizing of flight structures to ensure timely design reviews and drawing release.
- Develop and support hardware test campaigns, including test integration, operation and result evaluation.
- Support manufacturing process development.
In order to be successful in this role, you must be someone who is self-motivated, adaptable and is able to lead your own projects to completion in a fast-paced environment. Ideally, you have significant mechanical or structural design experience and a proven track record completing collaborative projects effectively.
On a weekly basis, you will be designing flight components for our upcoming Terran R vehicle using NX/TeamCenter, performing analysis using Nastran, ANSYS and/or hand calculations, creating and releasing drawings as well as supporting fabrication of your components. You will own your design from requirements to production. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and present your recommendations when decisions are needed.
What you need to know:
- 5+ years of experience in a design engineering role.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline.
- Significant experience with industry standard CAD packages such as NX, Creo, or Solidworks
- Working knowledge of structural analysis (hand calculation, Finite Elements Methods and industry tools) and test
- Fundamental knowledge of structures strength, stability and fatigue failure mechanisms.
- Fundamental knowledge of additive and traditional manufacturing processes
- Full life cycle project ownership experience
Nice to haves but not required:
- 5+ years of mechanical or structural design & analysis experience.
- Extensive experience with NX/TeamCenter.
- Expertise using Nastran and ANSYS.
- Experience with GD&T and drafting.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace