Sr Manager, Test Fluids Systems Engineering
At Relativity Space, we have two audacious goals: to build the next great commercial launch company with Terran R and to become America's leading force in additive manufacturing innovation. Both contribute to our long-term vision of creating humanity’s industrial base on Mars, paving the way for interplanetary life to expand the possibilities of the human experience. This journey begins right here on Earth – where we design, build, and fly rockets to deliver customer payloads to orbit. Terran R, our medium-to-heavy lift reusable rocket, fulfills the growing demand for launch capacity, thanks to our iterative approach that accelerates design, testing, and development while minimizing costs. While our groundbreaking research and development in 3D printing pushes the boundaries of large-scale additive manufacturing.
Your journey with us is more than just a job – it’s an opportunity to shape the future of aerospace technology, additive manufacturing, and the human experience alongside a community of passionate, creative individuals. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Factory Test Team is responsible for all hazardous testing in our Long Beach facilities. We use our breadth of experience and collaborative engineering approach to support everything from very large structural tests to precise valve actuation. To that end, we design, build, and operate all test assets from initial concept to test execution. If you enjoy working on a multi-disciplinary team with a broad mandate and want to put hands on hardware, then this is the team for you.
What you’ll do:
As the Sr. Manager of the fluids and systems team, you will be responsible for leading and mentoring the engineering team that designs, builds, and activates the fluid systems for all our test stands in Long Beach. You will be responsible for both technical and people leadership. Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate closely with the vehicle design team and company leadership to establish and execute engineering roadmaps for large scale test stands.
- Hire, train, guide, and mentor fluids and test systems engineers to be resourceful, resilient, technically excellent, and collaborative.
- Provide technical review of fluid system design and push for innovation that reduces cost and complexity.
- Partner with the Structures, Data, and Operations teams to execute on multidisciplinary test stand designs.
- Mature and uphold standards for safety, quality, process, and technical rigor.
- Drive creation and accountability to budget and schedule in support of team and company goals.
- Foster a team culture that attracts and retains top talent aligned with Relativity’s company values.
What you need to know:
- Bachelors degree in engineering or physics and 7+ years relevant engineering experience
- 5+ years experience managing and leading highly technical teams, including the full cycle of performance management
- Experience identifying and mitigating hazards in complex fluid systems
- Hands-on experience with fluid systems including build, operation, and maintenance
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high-impact projects on-time and on-budget.
- Expert understanding of 1D fluid analysis of compressible and incompressible flow
Nice to have but not required:
- Familiar with process piping codes including ASME B31.3 and ASME BPVC.
- Experience with high-performance hydraulic systems
- Previous work with cryogenic piping systems
- Experience as a system operator in a real-time environment (launch, test, etc.)
- Previous leadership of a high-growth team in a dynamic environment
- Aerospace testing experience is not required.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace