Quantum Engineer, Systems Performance
Berkeley, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
As a Quantum Engineer with a focus on system wide performance, you will work towards building the next generation of quantum hardware with the aim of unlocking new performance levels of our quantum processors. In your daily work, you will design and execute experiments to test new device layouts and hardware, perform measurements and data analysis, identify loss and dephasing channels, and propose new experimental solutions to improve device performance.
In this position, you will develop new protocols and goal-oriented plans to identify and resolve experimental anomalies. You will work closely with a diverse set of engineers and scientists (hardware, fab, design, electronics, software, etc.) to develop experimental techniques to identify and mitigate hardware limitations on device performance, and develop performance-based validation criteria for new hardware designs.
- Design experiments and benchmarking techniques to identify hardware limits to device performance
- Develop performance-based validation criteria for new hardware designs
- Analyze data and identify anomalies
- Propose new ideas to improve the performance of the next generation of quantum hardware and devices
- Suppress or mitigate spurious effects during single- and multi-qubit gate operation and idling
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (hardware, packaging, fabrication, etc.) to define specifications and requirements for, and test, new components from the perspective of quantum processor performance
- A Ph. D. in experimental physics
- Command of RF measurement techniques
- Hands on experience with cryogenic systems and measurements
- Comfortable with experimental problem solving and experimental research work with a focus on product development
- Ability to focus on defined goals and quickly adapt the plan in view of new data
- Knowledge of Python
- Enjoys teamwork and inter-team collaboration
- Track record of meaningful accomplishments in quantum science or related fields
Nice to Have
- Experience with superconducting quantum devices, time-domain measurements, dispersive readout, single- and two-qubit gates.
- Strong coding skills
- Prior technical role in an industry or start-up environment.
Rigetti complies with all local and state regulations in regards to displaying salary ranges. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate’s relevant work experience, skills, and geographic location. Rigetti offers a full slate of benefits from competitive salaries, equity, medical, dental and vision paid at 98% for employees as well as rejuvenation days, a flexible vacation policy, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan and paid parental leave program.
Rigetti Computing is a pioneer in full-stack quantum computing. The company has operated quantum computers over the cloud since 2017 and serves global enterprise, government, and research clients through its Rigetti Quantum Cloud Services platform. The company’s proprietary quantum-classical infrastructure provides ultra-low latency integration with public and private clouds for high-performance practical quantum computing. Rigetti has developed the industry’s first multi-chip quantum processor for scalable quantum computing systems. The company designs and manufactures its chips in-house at Fab-1, the industry’s first dedicated and integrated quantum device manufacturing facility. Rigetti was founded in 2013 by Chad Rigetti and today employs more than 180 people with offices in the United States, U.K., and Australia. Learn more at www.rigetti.com.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants eligible to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.