Robotics Engineer - Structured Text
Ripcord is the leader in intelligent document transformation, helping companies unlock peak value from their documents with its Robotics and AI-Powered Cloud platform
By unlocking meaningful data trapped in documents, customers can easily access the information they need, automate the processes they rely on and analyze the data that fuels their growth.
Ripcord customers include global enterprises such as Coca-Cola, IRS, Allianz Insurance, and MUFG. We’re based in the Bay Area, California and are backed by the world’s leading investors including Kleiner Perkins, Google Ventures, Lux Capital, Icon Ventures, Silicon Valley Bank, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and more.
At Ripcord, we respect and support each other. We want everyone to feel a sense of purpose and the freedom to innovate and take risks that result in breakthroughs that challenge the status quo. Your ideas are welcome here! Our team is diverse, driven, and dynamic. Every day we work with robotics, artificial intelligence and out-of-the-box thinking to bring the best out of our people and the most value to our customers.
Based in our Hayward headquarters, the PLC Robotics Engineer at Ripcord is an integral part of a cross-functional agile development team with direct responsibility for supporting the design of digitization robotics and processes. You will have a direct impact at Ripcord in robotics design and development.
An engineer in this position must have a good understanding of industrial robots, mechatronics, and automation. They are strong problem solvers who can support the development of innovative solutions to complex paper and material handling challenges. They will develop electrical, communication, and control systems by selecting and integrating a wide range of mechatronic components from motors and pneumatics to sensors and vision systems.
This role will collaborate with other software and hardware engineers to implement solutions to enable operations to effectively run production at scale. They will also assist in the introduction, assessment, and implementation of new technologies needed to develop digitization robotics and processes.
What You Will Do
- Program and debug Structured Text on a Beckhoff PLC controller platform
- Develop code which is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable
- Create technical documentation and processes needed to effectively deploy new systems
- Use data logging and analytics to determine overall factory statistics such as machine throughput, OEE calculations, and machine timing information for engineering to collect and analyze for further machine throughput and reliability improvement.
- Support team in Japan by providing feedback on proposed changes and code reviews
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and fluid plumbing
- Design the future of Ripcord’s digitization systems with a focus on the hardware/software stack for complex robotic systems
- Support the selection of mechatronic components (microcontrollers, actuators, motors, sensors, vision systems)
- Develop novel solutions to complex paper and material handling challenges
- Develop the state machines, logic flows, and firmware that make Ripcord systems the best in the industry
- Support the continuous improvement of Ripcord’s Firmware Development Process
- Create documentation needed to effectively deploy and maintain our systems
- Work collaboratively with the Software and Hardware engineering teams
What You Will Need
- Bachelors or Masters in Robotics, Mechanical, Mechatronics, or Electrical Engineering
- Must have 3+ years of experience with PLCs, particularly with Beckhoff PLCs and Structured Text programming language. Hands-on experience with implementing PLC logic for control of mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic systems in an industrial-grade machine. Experience with industrial-grade safety standards.
- Proficient with Git and Github.
- Experience with TwinCAT, HMIs and SCADA (Ignition, Beckhoff)
- Proficient in C# and C/C++
- Methodical and detail-oriented in approach to planning, experimentation, and analysis
- Strong technical documentation and communication skills
- Strong sense of ownership and initiative with the ability to set goals and project scope
- Experience with: robotics and mechatronics; electrical component selection including for power, motor drivers and feedback sensors including presence sensors; motor sizing; electro-actuator sizing; mechanism ideation and design; kinematics and dynamics analysis; and optimization.
- Experience programming Omron Adept robotic arms
- Experience with off-the-shelf machine vision: camera setup and calibration, integration into an industrial system
- Experience with Python scripting for prototyping and proof of concept
If You Live For
- Disciplined engineering research and product development
- Developing complex multi-discipline systems as part of a cross functional team
- Driving the detail design of robotic/mechatronic systems - getting the details right
- Producing efficient, innovative, and optimized robotic/mechatronic solutions
- Designing and building proof of concepts for novel designs - then seeing them through to production release
- Actively participating in your designs coming to life, building and testing the system you designed
We’d like to talk to you!
- Free onsite gym complete with treadmills, free-weights, and even a Peloton Bicycle!
- Fun stuff like a ping pong table, video games, pool table, electric scooters and more!
- A great selection of healthy (and not so healthy) snacks & refreshments on-site
- 100% of healthcare premiums are covered for you and all dependents
- Generous parental leave programs
- Catered lunch daily
- Great vision & dental insurance
- Comprehensive leave policy
- Commuting benefits
- Dog-friendly office!
- Stock options
Ripcord carefully considers multiple factors to determine compensation, including a candidate’s education, skills, and experience. The anticipated annual cash compensation for this role is between $130,000 and $150,000. Additionally, Ripcord offers excellent benefits and stock options to all full-time employees.
We never request personally identifiable information or bank account information during our recruiting or hiring process; nor do we offer up front payments as part of an offer of employment or ask you to download any 3rd party apps such as Telegram.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ripcord is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, transgender status, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.