Shapeways’ digital manufacturing platform offers customers access to high-quality manufacturing from start to finish through automation, innovation, and digitization. The company’s purpose-built software, a wide selection of materials and technologies, and global supply chain lower manufacturing barriers and speed delivery of quality products. Shapeways’ digital manufacturing services have empowered more than one million customers worldwide to produce more than 21 million parts using 11 different technologies and 90 different materials and finishes.
Shapeways has ISO 9001-certified manufacturing facilities in Livonia and Charlotte, Michigan, as well as in Eindhoven in the Netherlands. Shapeways is listed on the Nasdaq under the ticker symbol SHPW.
Why is an Injection Molding Process Engineer important to us?
Shapeways is looking for an Injection Molding Process Engineer who will play a vital role in our digital manufacturing platform. As an Injection Molding Process Engineer, you will have the opportunity to contribute significantly to part and tool design, shape new product launch processes, and drive continuous improvement through scientific injection molding principles. Your analytical abilities will be crucial in advancing our commitment to quality and efficiency.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the qualification of new tooling and established molding process parameters using techniques like DOE, SPC, etc.
- Spearhead standardization efforts for molding process limits through data analysis to minimize defective products.
- Conduct process improvement initiatives focused on cycle time reduction, material conversion, and statistical capability enhancements.
- Direct Six Sigma teams in identifying root causes and implementing cost-saving measures.
- Assess requirements for primary and secondary plastics processing machinery and equipment, providing guidance for purchases.
- Support new injection mold development through participation in vendor design proposals and mold trials.
- Develop and introduce injection molding processes
- Utilize simulation software to determine optimum mold design parameters, fill patterns, gate locations, clamp tonnage, and cosmetic quality metrics
- Collaborate on continuous improvement investigations related to injection molding processes
- Work with other business units to support injection molding projects
- Provide engineering support to molding technicians
You might be a good fit if you have/are:
- Bachelor's degree in Plastics Engineering or other Technical Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a medium-volume injection molding manufacturing environment
- Comprehensive knowledge and proficiency in injection molding processes, engineering-grade materials, machines, robotics, and auxiliary equipment
- Creative thinking, strong analytical skills, and excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Experience with 3D CAD and MoldEx simulation software
- Proficiency in DOE and statistical data analysis
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Scientific Injection Molding process and studies (Gate Seal, Flow, Cooling Time, etc.).
- Proven ability to troubleshoot issues using disciplined root cause analysis tools.
Your Unique Skills and Experiences Matter!
We understand that our list of desired attributes and skills may only capture some of the unique qualities and talents you bring to the table. Research has shown that this is especially true for women and other marginalized groups who tend to hesitate unless they meet every single requirement. We encourage you to take a chance and apply, as we believe there's much more to you than what's on paper. Don't be afraid to show us what you've got – we're excited to discover the exceptional qualities you bring to our team!
Why join our team?
At Shapeways, we believe in living our core values every day, which are the driving force behind our success. One Team, Innovate, Think Critically, Drive Results, Be Passionate.
Join us at Shapeways and become part of a team that values collaboration, innovation, critical thinking, results, and passion. Let's embark on an exciting journey together and make a lasting impact in our industry.
Benefits and perks include:
- Healthcare that fits your needs - We offer excellent medical, dental, and vision plan options that provide coverage to employees and dependents. Our suite of options ranges from 100% employee-only medical premium coverage to extremely reduced premiums for dependent coverage to an enhanced buy-up plan for those with more extensive needs. We also have competitive pricing plans for dental and vision!
- Ownership - Every Shapeways employee will be granted equity in the company
- 401(k) with Employer Match - Join the team and we will immediately invest in your future
- Parental Leave - Robust paid time off for new parents; both primary and secondary leave
- Generous Paid Time Off - Accrued PTO starting on day 1, plus additional days off when you’re not feeling well, to observe holidays, or just to destress.
- Wellness - We care about your well-being. From Commuter Benefits to FSAs to a platform to promote financial well-being to gym reimbursement to standing desks to a partnership with One Medical...we’ve got you covered
- Learning & Development - Through continued education/mentorship on the job and our investment in LinkedIn Learning, we’re focused on your growth as a working professional
- Credit and Discount - Each quarter, employees will earn a $100 credit in their Shapeways account - that’s $400 a year! This balance may be used in conjunction with the 20% employee discount toward purchasing items from our marketplace
- Quarterly Employee Engagement Events - We will meet virtually, work in small teams, and compete for a prize!