Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 1, 2023
At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future.
With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.
We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.
Your knowledge & skill base has a solid grounding in business and contract law coupled with extensive & practical commercial experience. Equally important is your natural sense of accountability & curiosity to ensure Shiru succeeds in its mission and achieves this in line with the company values. You are not afraid to speak up, get involved, and challenge ideas; but you are able to do this in the spirit of Shiru team collaboration and respecting the ideas of others. You are literally a team player that wants the business, and all those in it, to succeed. You will use your skills, behaviors and passion to achieve this important mix of objectives. You embrace the Shiru mission and way of doing things and will be a passionate advocate of these ideals.
- Provide expert and strategic legal services, counseling, and training to the business on legal, compliance, and risk management matters
- Draft, review, negotiate, modify, and support implementation of all contracts and other documents with legal significance, including company policies and SOPs
- Keep abreast of legal decisions and changes in applicable laws and regulations in order to provide the most current advice to Shiru and ensure compliance
- Lead the process of acquiring Shiru ingredient regulatory compliance in all relevant global markets utilizing expert advice (internal & external) where required
- Support fundraising efforts, including responding to diligence inquiries and legal review and compliance with funding commitments
- Support the protection and enforcement of Shiru’s intellectual property, including the filing for copyrights and trademarks
- Manage external general administrative contractors as appropriate (e.g. finance)
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law
- Knowledge and practical experience around intellectual property Law
- 5+ years of experience in a fast paced organizations preferably at an early-stage or growth-stage tech company
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Grit, ambition, humility and an innate sense of ‘what is right’
- Doctorate from an accredited law school and admission to practice before a California state bar
- Demonstrated experience in designing and owning IP strategy
- Experience in drafting and negotiating legal agreements including NDAs, business transactions, and licensing agreements
- Flexibility, willingness, and ability to take on diverse tasks
Bonus points for the following experiences
- Experience in the pharmaceutical, life sciences, and/or biotechnology industry
- Significant small and/or large molecule patent preparation and prosecution experience, including familiarity with US IP rules, regulations, and practices
- Experience with strategic transactions and partnerships, including equity/debt financing matters and commercialization of products and IP
- Familiarity with regulatory frameworks and rulemaking
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.