Sr. Payroll Analyst
ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code graph powers Cody, the most powerful and accurate AI coding assistant, as well as our Code Search product, which helps devs explore their entire codebase and make large-scale migrations and security fixes. We’re building software that builds software, and in doing so we’re making devs more productive and preparing for a world where a lot more code gets written.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. AI has taken over the world, and we’ve spent the last 10 years building infrastructure that’s integral to making AI generated code more powerful and accurate. Our customers include 4/5 FAANG companies, 4 of the top 10 banks, government organizations, Uber, Plaid, and many other companies building the software that pushes the world forward. We’ve raised $225M at a $2.625B valuation from Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia, Redpoint, Craft and others. We’re making ambitious bets on our future and we’re looking to hire exceptional people to join our team as we make Sourcegraph one of the biggest and most influential companies in the world.
🌎 Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with US time zones for at least 30 hours/week.
Why this job is exciting
As the founding member of our Payroll Team, you will play an integral role in building out our internal payroll operations. You will lead both day-to-day payroll support and build scalable support frameworks, processes, tools, and partnerships.
📅 Within one month, you will…
- Create an internal payroll process end to end to support 100+ employees and sustainably support additional growth
- Own state registrations (US) and the administration of new state setup, ensuring the necessary deduction/tax codes are adhered to
- Own benefits administration within our payroll software (Rippling)
- Ensure compliance with relevant US state and federal tax and employment laws
- Oversee processing of payroll changes (compensation adjustments, promotions, terminations) and additional sources of pay (commission, bonuses)
- Partner with the People team to process employee benefits elections including new hire, annual enrollment, and qualifying life events
- Work with our People team and leave management service to maintain a record of leaves (parental, sick, etc.) and process payroll adjustments
- Be the main point of contact for teammates and other internal customers regarding payroll and benefits
📅 Within three months, you will…
- Take on full ownership semi monthly payroll processing for the US entity and booking of payroll entries into NetSuite
- Take over any required compliance fillings
- Be able to answer teammate payroll and benefits enrollment questions.
- Gain a nuanced understanding of Accounting/Payroll Team data, systems and processes and suggest some initial improvements
📅 Within six months, you will…
- Establish an onboarding and offboarding workflow with the people ops and IT teams
- Fully understand all data workflows and process owners
- Select a new payroll provider
📅 Within one year, you will…
- Have established successful partnerships with Accounting, PeopleOps, Sales, and FP&A
- Implemented a new payroll system
- Ensure 100% compliance with zero late fees or past due registrations
- Taken on full ownership of US payroll, international PEO payroll processing
Example: you are an experienced and people-driven member of a payroll team who has the skills to effectively drive progress toward our eng organization’s ambitious objectives. You thrive in fast-paced environments. You have a knack for juggling competing priorities. You get stuff done. You manage up. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
💪 Your skill-set:
- Proven experience as a payroll senior analyst, or similar role
- Excellent understanding of multi-location (U.S.) payroll and taxes
- Familiarity with payroll software/ HRIS (e.g. Rippling, BambooHR)
- Experience managing new state setup registrations, tax filings, and other compliance
- Experience with administration of PFL, FSA, HSA programs
- Experience with benefits administration within a payroll software
- BSc/BA in Accounting, Human Resources or related field; professional certification is a plus
🔍 Nice to haves:
- Experience with NetSuite
📊 This job is an IC2/3. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
💸 We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
💰 The target compensation for this role is $83,400 (IC2) & $108,540 (IC3) USD base.
📈 In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
We expect the interview process to take 4.5 hours in total.
👋 Introduction Stage - we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
🧑💻 Team Interview Stage - we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [30m] Take Home Project
- [30m] Peer Interview
- [30m] Cross-functional Collaboration Interview
- [30m] Values Interview
🎉 Final Interview Stage - we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30m] Leadership Interview
- We check references and conduct your background check
Please note - you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees