Lead Environment Artist
Lead Environment Artist
Project: Alien VR
Department: GAMES - ART
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA / REMOTE
People make games great. And at Survios, we know we can’t grow from an acclaimed VR studio to the world’s premier game developer and publisher without them. That’s why our most valuable investments aren’t in the next-generation technology we use to make our games or the new HQ we’re building in Marina Del Rey, but in creating a hybrid workplace that seeks out talent across the globe, nurtures its people, and encourages fun. A workplace where every team member knows they’re respected and cared for. If you want to join a passionate team of developers driving toward the future of immersive gaming, we’d love to hear from you! Survios is currently searching for a talented Lead Environment Artist to help visualize the future of immersive gaming.
A good communicator and supervisor, this person is a contributing member of the team, leads by example and inspires teams to create high caliber content. To succeed, you must be able to lead creative teams and have excellent technical art chops. Our Senior artists lead by example and strive to set the highest quality bar possible.
- Manage and mentor the art team, with an eye towards balancing the quality and performance of the game’s environments.
- Provide annual performance reviews for environment artists within the studio.
- Generate art assets that establish a high-quality bar for the environment art team both visually and technically, as well as establish environment art layouts, set dressing and visual storytelling techniques that define a cohesive and consistent look.
- Work and communicate with the other discipline leads (e.g. Engineering, Design, Narrative, etc ) on a constant basis to ensure the art team stays in sync with them.
- Running daily stand-ups with the art team.
- Establish goals for the environment team and break them down to individual tasks.
- Create and manage art documentation.
- Support and advise the Creative Director and Art Director to ensure their vision makes it into the game.
- Review art created by external teams, ensuring quality and achieving the vision.
- Create and review outsource packages going to external teams.
- Accomplished visual artist with 5+ years in the video game industry, with credits on both VR and console titles using high quality 3D content with highly detailed environments.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Experience with the production of optimized, game-ready 3D models using Maya, 3DSMax, or equivalent.
- Experience and skills in sculpting using ZBrush, Mudbox, or other sculpting software.
- Proficient in complex 3D modeling, UV editing, and texture creation.
- Strong understanding of the Unreal Engine material and shader system.
- Strong artistic sense of scene composition, as well as shape, proportion and color.
- Experience with Unreal Engine level creation tools including BSP, level streaming and lighting.
- Extremely flexible and adaptable to new tools, environments, and unexpected challenges.
- Formal Art Education.
- Drawing/Painting ability.
- Previous work in VR and/or a passion for VR.
Note: Applications for this role must include a portfolio/reel (or link to a portfolio/reel). Applications that do not have this information will not be considered.
Base salary range between $115,000 USD - $145,000 USD (Base salary range for applicants located within the United States)
Please note that the compensation information provided is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to the California Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements Law.
Survios takes into consideration a candidate’s education, training, and experience, external market and internal value, including seniority and merit systems, and internal pay alignment when determining the salary level for potential new employees. In compliance with the California Law, a potential new employee’s salary history will not be used in compensation decisions.