Senior 3D Character Artist
Senior 3D Character Artist
Project: Alien VR
Department: GAMES - ART
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA / REMOTE
People make games great. And at Survios, we know we can’t grow from an acclaimed VR studio to the world’s premier game developer and publisher without them. That’s why our most valuable investments aren’t in the next-generation technology we use to make our games or the new HQ we’re building in Marina Del Rey, but in creating a hybrid workplace that seeks out talent across the globe, nurtures its people, and encourages fun. A workplace where every team member knows they’re respected and cared for. If you want to join a passionate team of developers driving toward the future of immersive gaming, we’d love to hear from you! Survios currently has an opening for a talented Senior 3D Character Artist to help visualize the future of immersive gaming on a variety of unannounced titles.
The ideal candidate enjoys putting their skills and knowledge to use in a variety of styles. Your broader experience in game development and the character pipeline will help you work collaboratively with designers, concept artists, technical artists and animators to create an immersive and epic game experience.
- Sculpt highly detailed characters, creatures, and gear, in keeping with art direction and technical specifications.
- Build efficient, animation-ready game meshes for VR platforms.
- Create PBR compliant textures and materials for use in Unreal Engine 5.
- Routinely undertake demanding and complex character creation tasks while striving to maintain or exceed the established quality standards.
- Support the Lead Artist with establishing and applying best practices for character visual quality, benchmark, and workflow efficiency.
- Participate in technical and aesthetic problem-solving.
- Actively improve skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages as well as traditional art methods.
- Aid in providing feedback and mentorship for teammates regarding both artistic and technical techniques.
- Prepare character briefs for outsource vendors and collaborate with the Lead Artist to deliver prompt effective feedback for OS artists throughout the character creation process.
- Work with Technical Artists and Engineers to refine character art creation and ingestion pipelines.
- Collaborate with the Lead Artist and Producers to deliver character art production schedules.
- 5+ years of experience creating character art for games.
- Aptitude for conceiving inspired creatures and monsters within the sci-fi Horror genre.
- Self-driven with excellent communication skills both written and spoken.
- Receptive and welcoming towards direction, constructive critique, and new ideas.
- Capable of implementing and troubleshooting assets in UE5.
- Flexible and able to adapt to various art styles, tools, and processes.
- Expert knowledge of anatomy and a strong artistic eye.
- Expert knowledge of Physically Based Rendering and Shading.
- Mastery of industry standard DCC software.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of self-direction while balancing multiple tasks at once.
- Technical knowledge and understanding of how assets impact performance.
- Ability to provide mentorship and feedback to artists where applicable.
- Traditional art education and experience.
- Experience as an owner and reviewer for outsourced art assets.
Note: Applications for this role must include a portfolio/reel (or link to a portfolio/reel). Applications that do not have this information will not be considered.
Survios is an award-winning game studio that takes a holistic approach to development, merging our expertise in hardware, software, and games to create unbelievable, immersive game experiences in VR, AR, consoles, and PC. We’re dedicated to leveraging our passion, expertise, and creativity to develop and publish the next generation of groundbreaking and immersive video games on all platforms.
Base salary range between $110,000 USD - $125,000 USD (Base salary range for applicants located within the United States)
Please note that the compensation information provided is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to the California Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements Law.
Survios takes into consideration a candidate’s education, training, and experience, external market and internal value, including seniority and merit systems, and internal pay alignment when determining the salary level for potential new employees. In compliance with the California Law, a potential new employee’s salary history will not be used in compensation decisions.