Software Engineer, Compute
Remote · United States
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
At Tecton, we are on a mission to bring Machine Learning to every customer and product interaction on the planet. We build an enterprise-grade, world-class Feature Platform – the infrastructure that powers real-time ML applications and systems in production.
Tecton’s founders developed the first Feature Store when they created Uber’s Michelangelo ML platform, and we’re now bringing those same capabilities to every organization in the world.
Tecton is funded by Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, and Kleiner Perkins, along with strategic investments from Snowflake and Databricks. We have a fast-growing team that’s distributed around the world, with offices in San Francisco and New York City. Our team has years of experience building and operating business-critical machine learning systems at leading tech companies like Uber, Google, Meta, Airbnb, Lyft, and Twitter.
We are building Rift - a new fully managed compute environment that allows data scientists to construct powerful batch and streaming feature pipelines in Python. This differs radically from technologies like Spark, which have a steep learning curve and significant overhead to manage, operate, and debug. Our new environment leverages popular open-source technologies such as Ray, Arrow, and DuckDB.
As a staff-level engineer building Tecton’s managed compute, you’ll play a critical role in architecting, designing, and scaling our first-ever managed compute platform that will serve as a compute engine used by every Tecton customer. As part of this team, you will be working in one or more of the following areas to build the next generation of Tecton infrastructure:
- Distributed compute and resource management
- Query optimization and distributed execution
- Cross-platform integrations with state-of-the-art data platforms such as Snowflake and BigQuery
- Fault-tolerant workloads on a lambda-based architecture
- Data security
- Own and lead large technical domains starting from the problem definition and technical requirements along with implementation and maintenance
- Lead multi-engineer projects of strategic importance to Tecton spanning cross-functional teams including design, product management, and other engineering teams
- Drive efforts to improve engineering practices, tooling, and processes along with mentorship for senior engineers
- Develop a deep understanding of the fundamental problems our customers face in building ML systems
- Be a generalist as needed. We’re a small, but growing engineering team and each engineer needs to be versatile
- Reinforce Tecton’s “Fast, but Focused” core value
Qualifications and Values
- 7+ years of experience in building product software systems
- 2+ years of technical leadership experience for a group of engineers
- Experience working in large Python, Java, Kotlin, or Go codebases and running cloud-native production systems using Kubernetes, AWS, and Docker
- Experience with distributed systems, SQL, and NoSQL databases
- Bias to action and passion for delivering high-quality solutions
- Strong communication and ability to write detailed technical specifications
- Excitement about coaching and mentorship of junior engineers
- BSc, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related fields
Tecton values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from the application through to the interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.