Engineering Manager, Compute
Remote · United States
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2024
At Tecton, we are on a mission to bring Machine Learning to every customer and product interaction on the planet. We build an enterprise-grade, world-class Feature Platform – the infrastructure that powers real-time ML applications and systems in production.
Tecton’s founders developed the first Feature Store when they created Uber’s Michelangelo ML platform, and we’re now bringing those same capabilities to every organization in the world.
Tecton is funded by Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, and Kleiner Perkins, along with strategic investments from Snowflake and Databricks. We have a fast-growing team that’s distributed around the world, with offices in San Francisco and New York City. Our team has years of experience building and operating business-critical machine learning systems at leading tech companies like Uber, Google, Meta, Airbnb, Lyft, and Twitter.
As an Engineering Manager on our Compute team, you will play a critical role in shaping the team’s strategic direction and implementation of Tecton’s core compute foundation, which includes our native compute engine, Rift, and deep integrations with platforms such as Spark and Snowflake. Think of it as the “beating heart” of Tecton. Your leadership and technical expertise will directly influence Tecton’s storage and compute architecture. This role is a unique opportunity that combines customer-obsessed product focus with platform and data engineering innovation. You’ll partner with Product, Design, and Marketing, and Field teams to define the roadmap that helps companies ranging from Fortune 100s to startups accelerate their path to real-time AI.
- Building and scaling Tecton’s Rift compute engine across multiple cloud providers
- Deep Integrations with Spark (e.g. Databricks, EMR, Dataproc) and Data Warehouses (e.g. Snowflake, BigQuery and Redshift)
- Performant training data computation pipelines from offline stores
- Orchestration platform responsible for reliably and performantly managing compute workloads
- Data engineering for key-value stores and data lakes
- Leading, and coaching a talented engineering team ranging from junior to staff-level engineers
- Building product and infrastructure for Tecton’s Compute platform and enabling customer adoption of new features
- Recruiting top-tier engineering talent, building an organized and sustainable team, and partnering with internal and external stakeholders
- Partnering with cross-functional teams to build product vision and strategy
- Efficiently executing on an aggressive product roadmap by building new features and managing technical debt levels
- 7+ years of software engineering experience for high-scale products or infrastructure
- 2+ years of people management experience for a group of engineers
- Experience working in large Python, Java, Kotlin, or Go codebases and running cloud-native production systems using Kubernetes, AWS, and Docker
- Product and user-first mindset with attention to UX detail
- Experience with distributed systems, SQL, and NoSQL databases
- Bias to action and passion for delivering high-quality solutions
- Strong communication and ability to write detailed technical specifications
- Excitement about coaching and mentorship of junior engineers
Tecton values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from the application through to the interview, please contact us at email@example.com.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.