Principal Software Engineer
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2022
We are looking for a software engineering leader who is passionate about creating next-generation healthcare software that will dramatically improve the lives of patients, clinicians, and caregivers. This person will have the opportunity to lead a team through early stages of product development, while contributing some code of their own and continuing to grow their own skill set.
The ideal candidate has full stack experience building SaaS and/or Cloud Native software for a regulated industry. Additionally, the Principal Software Engineer will bring deep expertise in one or more technologies including React, TypeScript, Go, Ent, Kafka, gRPC, Twirp, and/or AWS technologies like EventBridge and Aurora. Sharing knowledge and mentoring members of a growing team will be key.
The Principal Software Engineer should enjoy leading in an Agile collaborative environment with product managers, designers, external partners, and other engineers working together to build a high quality, consumer-oriented product from the ground up.
Make an impact—join our team!
We’re a fast-growing, mission-driven company building a culture that enables teams and individuals to thrive. Led by an experienced and proven team, we live by our values and are always on the hunt for motivated people with diverse experiences and backgrounds to help us improve the care journey for patients, clinicians, and caregivers by creating software that provides seamless, intuitive, and user-friendly experiences.
If you like working with innovative technologies and want to be part of a growing team that will help transform the healthcare experience, we encourage you to apply today!
Tendo has hubs in San Francisco, CA; San Diego, CA; Salt Lake City, UT; and Philadelphia, PA. Candidates may be located in any one of our four hub locations.
- Lead a team of engineers responsible for architecting, building, documenting, testing, and debugging a large consumer-facing application with significant daily usage.
- Serve as technical owner and subject matter expert for one or more product areas.
- Collaborate closely with product owners and designers to understand user needs and lead the translation of wireframes and other requirements into technical requirements and detailed architecture.
- Help lead Agile processes including sprint planning, daily standups, demos, and retrospectives.
- Maintain relationships with other teams to help ensure consistency in some key areas like architecture.
- Learn and use Go and potentially other back end languages, along with technologies and frameworks like gRPC/Twirp, Ent, and various AWS technologies, to produce, modify, and maintain APIs, microservices, event streams/queues, and similar.
- Learn and use React + TypeScript and related front end frameworks/libraries to produce web applications and PWAs that are deployed to Google Play.
- Write automated tests for all code and use Behavior Driven Development practices.
- Write infrastructure as code using Serverless Framework.
- Perform code review and enhance team’s code review practices as needed.
- Provide expertise in Web, API, database, and/or cloud technologies and frameworks, including React, TypeScript, Go, gRPC, Twirp, Ent, Serverless Framework, and/or AWS technologies like EventBridge and Aurora.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and subject matter expertise to other team members.
- Lead creation of technical documentation describing architecture decisions.
- Identify and evaluate new technologies and frameworks that may need to be added to our stack.
- Support and implement the latest standards in securing data to meet HIPAA requirements.
- Bachelor's degree (BS/BA) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar major OR equivalent professional experience or software development certification (including bootcamp).
- 7+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- 2+ years in a team lead role, using Agile practices/processes.
- 2+ years professional experience developing Cloud Native applications/products on AWS, Azure, or GCP (AWS preferred) OR 2+ years professional experience with Go/Golang OR 2+ years professional experience with React + TypeScript.
- Strong ability to communicate development approaches and plans within and across teams.
- Professional experience with modern version control systems (e.g., Git) and tools (e.g., Bitbucket, GitHub, GitLab).
Nice to Have
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Knowledge of the healthcare industry and HL7 standards like FHIR.
- Experience writing infrastructure as code using Serverless Framework.
- Experience with graph data modeling (i.e., using Ent).
- Experience with event streaming frameworks (i.e., EventBridge, Kafka).
- Experience with gRPC/Twirp.
- AWS certification(s).
Base Salary Range
This salary range is offered with the understanding that final compensation is based on a number of factors including geography and experience. Tendo also offers an equity package, annual bonuses, and benefits.
For full time employees, Tendo also offers full health benefits (medical, dental, and vision), flexible spending and health savings accounts, company paid life insurance, company paid short-term and long-term disability, company equity, voluntary benefits, 401(k), company paid holidays, flexible time off, and an employee wellness program (“Breathe”).
Tendo is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
See more open positions at Tendo
Something looks off?