Visterra is currently seeking a Staff Accountant to join our accounting and finance team. Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Staff Accountant will be responsible for month end close activities, reconciling account balances, maintaining general ledger and preparing month-end close procedures.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain general ledger and assist month-end and year-end close processes.
- Reconciling sub-ledger to general ledger account balances.
- Assessing internal controls, including risk assessments and reviews of risk areas.
- Maintaining and reconciling fixed assets system.
- Perform bank reconciliations, credit card reconciliations, and investigate and resolve reconciling items.
- Create process documentation, accounting policies and build schedules to support journal entries and analysis.
- Build and maintain relationships with employees at all levels.
- Maintain Accounting systems.
- Support the activities of the Accounts Payable and Procurement functions, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of invoices, purchase orders, employee expense reports, cash control, payroll processing and total corporate payroll tax compliance.
- Assist with monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial reporting and periodic audit activities, including corporate financial controls audits.
- Assist accounting staff and perform ad hoc analysis and projects as requested.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- 2+ years of experience as an accountant
- Experience with SAP ERP system a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities across all levels of an organization
- Strong leadership skills with a dedication to driving and achieving results
- Knowledge of employee relationship building and performance management techniques
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills. Experience with other financial systems.
- Excellent analytical, decision-making, and problem solving skills
- Attention to accuracy and detail required
- Strong PC skills utilizing Microsoft Office applications and accounting systems
- Team player with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
Visterra is a clinical stage biotechnology company committed to developing innovative antibody-based therapies for the treatment of patients with kidney diseases and other hard-to-treat diseases. Our proprietary technology platform enables the design and engineering of precision antibody-based product candidates that specifically bind to, and modulate, key disease targets. Applying this technology to disease targets that are not adequately addressed by traditional therapeutic approaches, we are developing a robust pipeline of novel therapies for patients with unmet needs.
Visterra is a wholly owned subsidiary of Otsuka America, Inc., which is a U.S. holding company and a wholly owned subsidiary of Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. of Japan. Visterra has approximately 110 employees and is located in Waltham, Massachusetts.
Visterra provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.