Embedded Systems Engineer
Whisper Aero, a leader in air propulsion technology, focuses on delivering cleaner, quieter, and more efficient thrust solutions. Our team, with over a decade of experience in electric propulsion, includes experts from NASA, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and other industry giants. We pride ourselves on a culture of ambition, creativity, and teamwork, constantly seeking innovative minds ready to challenge norms and drive progress in our field.
About the Role
The purpose of this role is to design and implement embedded software for propulsor control units. The candidate will work cross-functionally with the Mechanical Engineering, Testing, and Mechatronics teams on a variety of aerospace and consumer-facing projects. This is an exciting opportunity to help shape the future of regional air mobility and quiet electric propulsion.
What You’ll Do
- Design and develop the overall architecture of an embedded system for a propulsor control unit
- Collaborate with internal and external customers for optimal propulsor performance
- Lead technical reviews to ensure system/software requirements are being met from an end-to-end system point of view.
- Develop and execute unit tests to reduce identified risks.
- US Person Status
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, computer engineering, or a related field.
- Proficiency in embedded software development, including experience with microcontrollers, microprocessors, and real-time operating systems (RTOS).
- Strong programming skills in languages commonly used in embedded systems development, such as C and C++
- Familiarity with hardware interfaces and communication protocols such as SPI, I2C, UART, and CAN
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent) and 5 or more years of experience
- Strong fundamentals of AC electric motor control and various PWM schemes
- Familiarity with sensorless and sensored motor control algorithms
- Experience with FPGA programming
- Experience with PCB layout software
- Experience developing and implementing embedded systems (hardware/software) adhering to relevant standards such as IEEE 2050, DO-254, and DO-278
- Top-tier Benefits: 100% paid Medical, dental, and vision for employees, 75% paid for dependents
- PTO & Federal Holidays: Starting at four weeks of paid time off for vacation, sick, and personal days
- Competitive Salary: Value-based compensation, plus enjoy Tennessee’s no-income-tax life
- End of Year Bonuses: For eligible employees
- Paid Lunches: Lunches MWF + drinks and snacks to keep you going throughout the day
- Relocation Assistance
- Professional Development Stipend
Whisper Aero is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Whisper Aero also participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each applicant's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.