Senior Test Engineer
Whisper Aero, a leader in air propulsion technology, focuses on delivering cleaner, quieter, and more efficient thrust solutions. Our team, with over a decade of experience in electric propulsion, includes experts from NASA, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and other industry giants. We pride ourselves on a culture of ambition, creativity, and teamwork, constantly seeking innovative minds ready to challenge norms and drive progress in our field.
About the Role
Whisper is seeking a mid-career or senior ground test engineer to assist in the research and development of Whisper’s revolutionary electric propulsors. This candidate will create ground test rigs, design experiments for static tests and wind tunnel tests, define and implement instrumentation to collect key data, define and write data acquisition software, and collect and process test data. The candidate should have both a strong background in instrumentation and associated electronics and software as well as some background in propulsion aerodynamics.
What You’ll Do
- Use first principles to determine the validity of an idea (for example: back-of-the-envelope hand calcs or a basic physics model)
- Design test equipment, load measurement rigs, electronics, general data acquisition hardware systems, aerodynamics measurement rigs, etc.
- Select and implement instrumentation to measure various test article performance
- From limited information create and implement test plans, design efficient experiments, collect data, post-process test data and report findings to team
- Troubleshoot electronic and instrumentation systems
- Communicate with other groups to integrate designs and frameworks
- Lead design reviews
- Be mentored and trained by senior engineers. Mentor and train junior engineers.
- Completed an MS in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related discipline with four years of direct experience in ground testing; or have completed a PhD with at least two years of experience; or have completed a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline with 10+ years of directly related experience.
- Strong understanding of instrumentation for aerospace testing including supporting electronics: amplifiers, signal conditioners, strain gauges, load cells, accelerometers, gyros, vibrometers, hotwire, pressure transducers (static, pitot, rakes, multi-hole probes), microphones, high speed cameras, thermistors, thermocouples, etc.
- A functional understanding of high power electrical systems and electrical machine measurement and characterization.
- Proficient with discipline-specific software: DAQ software (HBK/DeweySoft/LabView/C++/Other), Basic microcontroller programming, CAD, data analysis via Python/MATLAB/other, Arduino
- Proficient at data reduction, post processing of large datasets, storage and organization of data, etc.
- Experience with experiment design via Modern Design of Experiments and basic statistical analysis of test data
- Solid background in aerodynamics and propulsion
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A willingness to work on tasks outside your primary job functions
- U.S. Person status
- Experience with acoustics instrumentation, analysis, aeroacoustics, etc.
- Experience with low speed wind tunnel testing
- Experience with laser vibrometers, Blade Tip Timing measurement, wireless strain measurement
- Experience designing electronic assemblies and printed circuit boards design via EAGLE/Altium/OrCAD/etc
- Experience with designing custom instrumentation
- Experience in rapid prototyping, designing to take full advantage of 3D printing tools
- Drone or model aircraft experience
- Private Pilot or Remote Pilot Certificate Holder
- Passion for aviation
- Top-tier Benefits: 100% paid Medical, dental, and vision for employees, 75% paid for dependents
- PTO & Federal Holidays: Starting at four weeks of paid time off for vacation, sick, and personal days
- Competitive Salary: Value-based compensation, plus enjoy Tennessee’s no-income-tax life
- End of Year Bonuses: For eligible employees
- Paid Lunches: Lunches MWF + drinks and snacks to keep you going throughout the day
- Relocation Assistance
- Professional Development Stipend
Whisper Aero is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Whisper Aero also participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each applicant's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.