Senior Manager, System Safety Engineering Team
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2022
Zoox is on an ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous mobility solution for cities and safely deploy such a robotaxi solution. Zoox’s System Design and Mission Assurance (SDMA) team is responsible for constructing the safety case for each milestone. We play a foundational role for the success of the company. We are seeking an experienced people manager who is passionate about bringing teams together and excels in a fast-paced product innovation organization to lead and grow the System Safety Engineering team in the SDMA department.
In this role, you will:
- Lead, mentor, and develop SDMA System Safety Engineers to meet evolving company needs
- Advocate for the System Safety team’s needs
- Strategically define hiring plans to support key department work streams
- Manage and allocate team resources based on business priorities
- Establish close collaboration and build trusting relationships with senior leaders from cross-functional teams including hardware, software, vehicle engineering, operations, human factors, program management office, legal, and safety policy
- Strategically develop and define the roadmap for the Systems Safety Engineering team in collaboration with other partner teams within SDMA
- BS degree or higher in an Engineering or Science discipline
- 5+ years of experience in System Safety, Functional Safety, or Systems Engineering role in a fast-paced environment where ambiguity is seen as opportunities
- 3+ years of people management experience developing high-performing teams
- Possesses excellent EQ with an empathetic communication style that fosters connection, collaboration and motivation
- Strong track-record in managing complex cross-functional projects
- Working experience in automotive industry or the autonomous driving technology industry
- Working level experience with safety critical systems
- Familiarity with applicable industry safety standards such as MIL-STD-882, ISO 26262, ISO 21448 PAS, etc.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $224,000 to $325,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to email@example.com or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.