Senior/Staff Safety Research Engineer - Quantitative Risk Assessment
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2022
Zoox is on an ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous mobility solution for cities and safely deploy such a robotaxi solution. Zoox’s System Design and Mission Assurance (SDMA) team is responsible for constructing the safety case for each milestone. We play a foundational role for the success of the company.
As a safety research engineer focused on quantitative risk assessment, you will help Zoox to improve and expand our existing safety risk assessment framework. The safety risk assessment framework is a critical part of the overall safety case and informs the decision-making in every aspect of the technology.
- Lead research efforts to improve the quantitative risk assessment methodology
- Identify, collect, and analyze statistical data where it is available
- Develop and standardize best practices of safety risk assessment across the company
- Develop and automate the tooling of the the risk assessment framework
- Contribute to the improvement and evolution of the Safety Case of Zoox technology, in close collaboration with cross-functional teams including Software, Hardware, Vehicle Development, Operations, Safety Policy, Legal, etc.
- M.S. or higher degree in an Engineering or Science discipline with a strong focus on Statistics, Probability Theory, or Data Science
- Proficiency in quantitative analysis/modeling tools
- Have the ability to use Python to interface with Zoox-internal driving- and simulation data sources
- 3+ years relevant work experiences in understanding and quantifying safety risks
- Collaborative team player with strong written and in-person communication skills
- Ph.D. in an Engineering or Science discipline with a strong Data Science or Statistics focus
- 7+ years of relevant work experience
- Publications in the field of quantitative risk assessment for safety engineering
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $196,000 to $281,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
See more open positions at Zoox
Something looks off?