Autonomous Vehicle System Behavior Engineer
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2022
Autonomous vehicles have some of the largest, most complex software ever shipped in a safety-critical environment. Solving that problem is one of the most exciting technical challenges of our lifetime.
As an Autonomous Vehicle System Behavior Engineer at Zoox, you will be working as part of the AV System Behavior Analysis team to review, analyze, and root cause issues uncovered during Level-5 autonomy vehicle testing.
- Support Level-5 autonomy vehicle operators troubleshoot and debug issues in the field to unblock test missions
- Review problem reports raised during testing for completeness and categorize the severity of the issue
- Analyze vehicle logs using in-house tools to trace failures to correct subsystem and document the findings
- Interface with engineering teams to communicate and discuss issues
- Track issues through to resolution
- Gather and maintain an understanding of our ground-up L5 vehicle’s systems
- B.S. in a relevant STEM discipline or equivalent work experience
- Integrated systems troubleshooting experience
- Proven cross-functional collaboration skills
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to span across multiple disciplines
- Great technical reporting skills
- Ability to learn quickly, starting with little information and quickly becoming a specialist in your domain
- Proven self-starter mindset and the ability to work independently or with minimal supervision
- Experience as a test engineer debugging and triaging complex systems such as autonomous vehicles
- Experience with communication busses (e.g. CAN, ethernet)
- Experience with an issue reporting tool (e.g. Jira)
- Experience in a vehicle test environment
- Experience creating automation within Slack, Jira, Google Sheets or Excel
- Scripting experience with a high-level language (e.g. python)
- Experience with a business intelligence tool (e.g. Looker, Tableau)
- Basic Unix/Linux skills
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $114,000 to $180,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
See more open positions at Zoox
Something looks off?