Senior Software Engineer - Perception Metrics Platform
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2022
We are seeking a highly skilled Metrics Platform Engineer/Architect to design and develop a metric platform for the Perception component of our autonomous driving stack. As a member of the Perception team, you will be part of the “eyes and ears” of the Zoox autonomous driving stack, deploying state-of-the-art AI solutions to ensure safe and effective driving.
In this role, you will work closely with data engineers, data scientists, and software engineers to build a scalable and high-performance platform that enables perception engineers to efficiently evaluate their models across PBs of multimodal data. You will be responsible for guiding the design of our data pipelines and related MLOps systems, ensuring that they follow best practices and increase the efficiency, safety, and accuracy of not only Perception, but Zoox’s autonomous driving stack as a whole.
Think you have what it takes to build the best machine learning systems on this planet? Come join us!
- Develop data pipelines and workflows using modern data processing technologies such as Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, and Databricks, to support the processing of large volumes of sensor data from autonomous driving vehicles.
- Integrate the metrics platform into the organization's CI/CD pipeline, to ensure that metrics are tracked and analyzed throughout the development lifecycle.
- Monitor and optimize the performance of data pipelines, storage solutions, and analytics platforms to ensure high availability, scalability, and reliability, to support the development of mission-critical autonomous driving technology.
- Collaborate with ML engineers, software engineers, and data scientists to understand business requirements and design a scalable and efficient metrics platform that enables perception engineers to build their own metrics and abstracts the complexity of the platform.
- Develop frameworks and processes for the metrics lifecycle, including: ingesting data, cleaning and organizing data, designing metrics, efficiently implementing metric calculations, comparison and traceability of metrics over time, visualization of metrics and insight.
- Develop and maintain analytics platforms that enable effective data visualization and dashboarding, using tools such as Looker and Dash, so that data scientists can effectively reveal insights into the performance of autonomous driving perception and machine learning models.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies in data engineering, MLOps, analytics, and visualization, specifically related to autonomous driving perception and machine learning.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering, data architecture, and data warehousing, with a focus on autonomous driving perception or machine learning on sensor data.
- Strong understanding of software and data engineering best practices.
- Experience building data systems and following data engineering best practices, including governance, lineage, and traceability.
- Experience designing and developing model evaluation platforms.
- Proficiency in data query languages and tools, e.g. SQL, NoSQL.
- Experience with distributed data processing frameworks, such as Apache Spark
- Experience using and building CI/CD workflows.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- Experience with Databricks.
- Experience with model evaluation and metric frameworks for autonomous driving or machine learning applications.
- Experience with streaming processing as Apache Kafka
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $210,000 - $300,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
See more open positions at Zoox
Something looks off?