Manager, Machine Learning Platform
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2022
Zoox is on a mission to reimagine transportation and ground-up build autonomous robotaxis that are safe, reliable, clean, and enjoyable for everyone. We are still in the early stages of deploying our robotaxis on public roads, and it is a great time to join Zoox and have a significant impact in executing this mission. The ML Platform team at Zoox plays a crucial role in enabling innovations in ML and CV to make autonomous driving as seamless as possible.
Are you excited to manage our ML Training and Inference Infrastructure that enables autonomous driving? You will get to work across all ML teams within Zoox - Perception, Prediction, Planner, Simulation, Collision Avoidance, etc. and our Advanced Hardware Engineering group and have the opportunity to significantly push the boundaries of how ML is practiced within Zoox.
We build and operate the base layer of ML tools, deep learning frameworks, and inference libraries used by our applied research teams for in- and off-vehicle ML use cases. You will lead a team of strong software engineers and act as a force multiplier for our customers. This team has a lot of growth opportunities as we expand our robotaxi deployments and venture into new ML domains. If you want to learn more about our stack behind autonomous driving, please look here.
- Vision: Develop and execute a strategic vision for our ML Platform ensuring scalability, reliability, and performance to support our autonomous vehicle operations.
- Technical acumen: Lead the design, implementation, and operation of a robust and efficient ML platform to enable the training, validation, serving, and monitoring of ML models.
- Hiring: Attract, hire, and inspire a diverse world-class engineering team, fostering a culture of innovation, collaboration, and excellence.
- Partnership: Collaborate closely with x-functional teams, including ML researchers, software engineers, data engineers, and hardware engineers to define requirements and align on architectural decisions.
- Mentorship: Enable the engineers in the team to grow their careers by providing the right opportunities along with clear and timely feedback.
- 10+ years of total experience, including 3+ years of engineering management experience.
- Excellent leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to build and manage high-performing engineering teams.
- Experience building ML Infrastructure that enabled large-scale model training and high throughput, low latency serving use cases.
- Experience with training frameworks like TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc., leveraging GPUs for distributed model training.
- Experience with GPU-accelerated inference using TensorRT, Ray Serve, or similar framework
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $204,000 to $342,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.