Staff Software Engineer, Secure Embedded Operating Systems
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2022
Zoox's Robot Software Infrastructure team is looking for a motivated software engineer to help mature the operating system on our vehicle’s primary compute platform. In addition to operating systems, the Robot Software Infrastructure team is responsible for vehicle software updates, and works on security-focused software in close collaboration with the product security team.
In this role, you’ll work on software that connects networks, drivers, artificial intelligence software, build systems, and web services. If you are excited to explore a broad problem space and are mindful of how components fit within a larger system, you may be a great fit! Ideally you will be able to work remotely, on-site, and occasionally in a vehicle.
- Deep expertise with the Linux kernel, filesystems, and devices
- Networking experience including VLANs, 802.1x, TCP tuning, NIC features and configuration
- Hands-on experience with secure boot, encrypted boot volumes, and TPM 2.0
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in a language without automatic memory management (e.g., C or C++), and in a scripting language (e.g., Python or Ruby)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Familiarity with security software: PKI, cryptographic building blocks, etc.
- Experience with Linux in an embedded environment
- Master’s degree or above with a focus on networking, operating systems, or computer security
- Master’s degree or equivalent practical experience
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $204,000 to $342,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.