Senior Technical Program Manager
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2022
The Program Management Office (PMO) at Zoox is responsible for driving cross-functional program planning and execution at the highest level. We partner with leaders from across the company in vehicle development, system design, software engineering, manufacturing, fleet operations, and business functions to develop and deliver major corporate milestones on the path to launch and beyond.
Our program managers contribute to the end-to-end success of technical, integrated product milestones involving both of our vehicle platforms - the Toyota Highlander test fleet and Zoox’s purpose-built robotaxi. PMO has teams focusing on AI & Autonomy, Robot Platform Development, Testing & Performance, and Service/Product readiness. All roles are deeply cross-functional, collaborative, and interdisciplinary.
The Senior Technical Program Manager (TPM) on PMO is a seasoned program management expert and cross-functional leader that will be responsible for strategic planning and execution of technical and integrated product milestones for our vehicle platforms on our path to launch. This person will help develop and roll out frameworks to our multidisciplinary teams, working closely with software and hardware engineering leaders, workstream TPMs, and other leaders within the PMO to bring structure, traceability, and scalable processes to accelerate towards our company goals.
- Partner with department managers to translate the top-down corporate strategy and milestones into detailed product road maps, timelines, and deliverables
- Lead cross-functional teams to define and then track resource requirements (headcount and budget) as inputs to finance
- Comfortable leading in a gray space and enabling teams to deliver tangible results
- Lead process and regular program meetings
- Establish standard reports to provide concise and effective communications to key stakeholders on program status, issues/risks, and accomplishments
- Ensure problems are transparent and risks are identified and proactively ensure that risk-mitigating actions are ongoing within the functional teams
- Influence key decisions by working cross-functionally across engineering, finance, and strategy to reach the right conclusions
- Define KPIs and other methods to measure metrics that best translate progress toward goals
- Lead execution of milestones and take it across the finish line with all stakeholders
- Effective prioritization and delegation to de-risk and enable tactical and strategic decision-making
- Maintaining a strong technical understanding of our vehicle platforms, software lifecycle, clearance process, and test operations
- Be the key interface with stakeholders and leadership
- Exercise judgment and discretion to develop solutions to remove obstacles and redefine approaches
- Ensure program goals are aligned with business objectives; build and sustain momentum among cross-functional TPMs and workstreams towards delivering on time and on target
- BS or MS degree in an engineering discipline or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in engineering, program management, or management consulting with a focus on product launches and /or validation and testing
- Success in driving complex SW/HW integration processes and optimizations and leading complex cross-functional programs end to end
- Proficient in tools or processes required to manage complex projects (i.e. Gantt charts, risk matrix, Smartsheet, JIRA, etc.)
- Excellent written, presentation, and verbal communication skills are a must, ability to create visualizations of KPIs and program risks
- PMP or equivalent
- Experience with autonomous vehicles, test platforms, simulation, and/or automotive or aerospace processes is highly desired
- Experience with developing and scaling strategy, processes, plans, procedures, reporting and handling escalations
- Strong references that highlight your ability to build strong working relationships with senior leaders, program managers, and engineers across functions and departments
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $180,000 to $265,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.