Senior/Staff Software Engineer, Mission Planning
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 7, 2023
The Mission Planner team at Zoox is responsible for generating the high level route our autonomous vehicles will take to transport passengers to their destination. By working closely with our cloud services team to facilitate pickup and drop off requests along with live traffic data among other inputs, and integrating closely with the decision making and trajectory planning and controls teams to allow dynamic planning this team will enable the core ability for our vehicles to choose the best routes through cities and adapt in real time.
We are looking for an engineer who is excited to solve the complexities of mission planning in dynamic cities, by contributing novel solutions to the architecture and design and driven to take ownership of major software components. If you like to work close to the robot platform and enjoy experiencing your developed software in the robot, we would like to hear from you.
- You will develop mission planner algorithms, including graph search and integration with behavioral planning
- You will Integrate and test your developed applications in the robot, learn and make improvements.
- You will work collaboratively with passionate team members to support the integration of software components from all teams throughout Zoox.
- You will set the short and long term technical direction for the team and collaborate on the broader company-wide directions
- You will coordinate cross-functional initiatives with other teams across Mission Planning, Behavioral Planning and Cloud Services.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related field
- Programming skills in C++
- Understanding and experience with a variety of graph search techniques (A*, D*, Dijkstra …)
- Demonstrated ability to write code for a shipped product (commercial robotics, drones, consumer devices, automotive)
- Ability to work on multiple layers of the autonomous driving compute stack
- PhD in computer science or related field
- Experience with autonomous robots
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $210,000 to $319,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.