Associate General Counsel, Commercial Legal
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2023
Zoox is looking for an energetic, self-starting attorney to join our growing legal team. In this role, you will support and own from a legal perspective all commercial agreements, including support for Zoox’s procurement, supply chain, strategic partnerships, infrastructure, hardware engineering, software, manufacturing, IT, business development, finance, and real estate teams on a variety of commercial transactions and negotiations. You will advise on a wide variety of matters, including master supply and services agreements, technology development agreements, software licenses, supply agreements, and leases for everything Zoox does.
You will draft and negotiate commercial agreements, implement best practices and documentation, train our growing procurement, engineering, and product teams, develop strategic business relationships with vendors, and work collaboratively across Zoox.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate experience with hardware supply agreements, licensing/technology agreements, equipment and capex purchases, and other transactional documents. A strong background in all facets of commercial law is required, and experience handling commercial contract disputes, and automotive, hardware, and/or electronics-focused clients is preferred. Experience with corporate transactions, M&A, and real estate is a plus.
The candidate selected for this role will lead the commercial legal function and team, and will report to Zoox’s Vice President, General Counsel and will have room for significant growth as Zoox’s business matures and expands.
- 10+ years handling commercial transactions, in-house and/or at a law firm.
- Significant experience negotiating, drafting, and solving issues for various types of commercial contracts, including those relating to manufacturing vendors, technology vendors, automotive suppliers, software, professional services, and environmental health and safety.
- Track record of leading and scaling teams.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and comfort with the uncertainty inherent in building a business.
- Experience juggling multiple projects at once and delivering on time based on business priority.
- Excellent business and legal judgment and the ability to work flexibly with a variety of teams.
- Inquisitiveness, willingness to learn new things, and ability to take the initiative to solve problems without being explicitly instructed to do so.
- JD with outstanding academic credentials and at least one state bar.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Experience working for or with automotive, manufacturing, and/or hardware companies.
- Experience with other types of corporate transactional documents, such as M&A and real estate agreements.
- Experience handling supply chain regulatory and compliance issues.
- Experience handling commercial contract disputes.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $236,000 to $353,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
See more open positions at Zoox
Something looks off?