Senior/Staff Software Engineer - Android AOSP System Engineer
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2023
Zoox is looking for a seasoned Android (AOSP) embedded systems engineer to join the Software Engineering team. The position comes with a high degree of independence and the opportunity to drive custom In-Vehicle infotainment device solutions. Your work will be highly visible, at the forefront of our service rollout as the primary on-vehicle interaction point with our future riders. In your development work, and in interactions with software, infrastructure, hardware and supplier teams, we will expect you to be essential in establishing best practices and creating interfaces that result in a robust and secure system.
- Manage and own the design and implementation of embedded system services, tools and update procedures.
- You will be expected to set and implement current best practices in embedded AOSP development, maintenance and security.
- We also expect you to independently collaborate with our product, application, hardware, infrastructure and vehicle teams on identifying and solving all systems integration issues.
- We will need your input and experience for interfacing with suppliers on hardware and system plans and issues, evaluating next generation hardware and systems, and contributing heavily to plans for future systems.
- Own the process and specific changes to AOSP required for Zoox products.
- BS / MS in Computer Science or similar degree with 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Strong background in embedded systems development with notable experience with Android AOSP devices.
- Deep understanding of Android AOSP and making modifications to it.
- Good working knowledge of writing, modifying and maintaining linux services under SELinux.
- Demonstrated experience working with custom Android devices, bringing them to production and supporting them in public spaces.
- Dynamic, driven and hands-on, yet capable to multitask across functions.
- Experience with embedded systems testing.
- Experience including and interfacing with external components defined and maintained by other teams/entities.
- Android UI application development experience.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $204,000 to $294,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.