AI Software Systems Engineer
Software Engineering, Data Science
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2023
This is an opportunity to join the Software Systems Engineering team to participate in building the Zoox robotaxi, the first in the world that has operated on public roads. The Software Systems Engineering team is responsible for defining SW development processes and ensuring that all safety-critical software meets a high safety bar for production vehicles.
In this role, you will collaborate with the software and safety team to ensure the developed software meets the targeted integrity level. The focus of this role will be on systems engineering and software safety activities of (1) robot’s teleoperations software, (2) map creation and handling for active geofences, and (3) Zoox’s mobile applications that are used by riders to request rides and receive information on robot’s status.
- Lead various systems engineering activities that are essential for a successful launch of software on the Zoox robotaxi
- Help create architecture and design artifacts that describe the Zoox software architecture
- Define and implement end-to-end traceability between various artifacts such as requirements, to architecture and code, and to tests
- Collaborate with the safety team to ensure the safety requirements have been fulfilled
- Advanced degree in robotics, computer engineering, electronics engineering, aerospace engineering or related fields
- 5+ years of industry experience in robotics, autonomous vehicles, aerospace, automotive or related mission-critical fields
- Familiarity with perception and planner architecture
- Developed and managed systems and software requirements documents; architecture documents, test specifications, etc
- Performed quantitative risk assessment and software safety analysis (FMEA, FTA, DFA)
- Working knowledge of standard systems engineering tools (DOORs, Rationale, JAMA, SysML, Polarion, etc.)
- Shipped software products to market in production automobiles, aircraft, spacecraft or other systems that require safety-critical software in embedded hardware
- Experience with interpreting industry safety standards such as ISO26262, SOTIF 21448 and DO178
- Subject matter expertise in at least one of these areas. (1) Sensor perception, (2) Motion planning, (3) Drive policy or behavior, (4) Controls and actuation
- Experience with interpreting and fulfilling industry standards in vehicle automation such as NCAP, SAE, FMVSS, ISO-TC204-standards (ITS), IIHS etc
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $160,000 to $225,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.