Manager, Technical Program Management - Firmware
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 2, 2023
Zoox’s Technical Program Management team is seeking a leader to manage our Firmware TPM team. As manager of the FW TPM team, you will partner with Firmware senior management on strategy, roadmapping, improving our development and release processes, and guiding Firmware towards delivering on Zoox’s needs. The FW TPM Manager will be responsible for a full team of senior technical program managers with deep experience in embedded software, and handle performance, mentoring, career growth, retention, and hiring. You and your team will work with the various sub-teams and initiatives within Firmware, and with stakeholders across Zoox, to develop project schedules, identify milestones, flag risks, estimate budgets, and clearly communicate ongoing progress.
The Firmware team is responsible for the embedded software development of the Zoox vehicle's low level driving, body, and safety systems to provide a robust and highly automated vehicle platform for the autonomous driving software and rider software to build on. The Firmware team focuses on building firmware for in-house ECUs that are unique to the Zoox vehicle and centralizing communication for domain controllers to coordinate the many vehicle subsystems.
- Lead an experienced team of technical program managers and leverage your technical and managerial skills to deliver high-impact results.
- Set the program management direction for the Firmware TPM team, and together with your team, iterate on our development processes.
- Work with Firmware department leaders to translate the top-down corporate strategy and milestones into detailed product roadmaps, timelines, and deliverables.
- Grow the TPM team through hiring and guide the professional development of team members.
- Create and deliver technical presentations that explain program initiatives to downstream consumer teams
- Represent the team in cross-departmental forums, with key stakeholders, and in executive meetings.
- Establish standard reports to provide concise and effective communications to key stakeholders on program status, issues/risks, and accomplishments
- Set the agenda for key decisions to be made at each meeting to eliminate bottlenecks and retire risks
- BS or MS degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent job experience
- 10+ years of experience in engineering, program management, or management consulting
- 3+ years experience managing a team of technical program managers
- Experience with real-time embedded software, microcontrollers/microprocessors, real-time operating systems (POSIX, QNX, FreeRTOS, etc)
- Strong track record of managing complex highly technical cross-functional projects
- Strong references that highlight your ability to build strong working relationships with senior leaders and engineers across functions and departments
- An ability to keep the big picture in focus and to provide clear, well-structured, and concise communications tailored to each appropriate audience
- Hands-on software/firmware development and debugging of microcontroller-based systems-on-a-chip, particularly in the automotive domain
- Experience with development of safety-certified software or firmware
- PMP or equivalent
- Experience with autonomous vehicles, test platforms, and/or automotive or aerospace processes
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $190,000 to $320,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.