Manager, Core Firmware Validation
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, March 4, 2023
In the role of Core Firmware Validation Engineering Manager, you will be helping to define and execute the strategic verification and validation vision of the Core Firmware engineering teams at Zoox. You will direct the activities of a team of Core Firmware component verification and validation engineers while coordinating and collaborating with other firmware, software, release management and vehicle engineering teams at Zoox. You will strive to develop industry-best testing methodologies targeting on-vehicle bootloaders, device drivers, networking stacks, operating systems, modern C++ frameworks, middleware, libraries and system services running on POSIX and non-POSIX real-time operating systems with an unwavering focus on safety-assurance and reliability.
- Lead a group of component verification and validation engineers and be responsible for the team’s strategy, productivity, and impact within Firmware as well as Zoox as a whole
- Provide discipline and rigor in the application of industry best practices around test design, test development, test automation, defect management, and reporting
- Refine, propagate, and promote the best practices of firmware validation teams, elevating the firmware validation activities across Zoox
- Coaching and career development, enabling team members to grow individually and in their ability to execute on complex V&V activities together
- Review and refine firmware requirements in the interest of testability
- Manage the transition between component-level V&V and vehicle-level V&V
- Experience leading the testing and release management of high assurance software
- Experience with testing and integration of systems comprised of multiple interconnected embedded platforms
- Experience with project, task, and performance management of a team of test engineers
- 3+ years of engineering management experience
- Experience tackling complex configuration management challenges
- Experience with software-in-the-loop and hardware-in-the-loop testing strategies
- Python proficiency, including experience with one or more python-based test frameworks
- C++ expertise
- Automotive-centric software frameworks (e.g. AUTOSAR), development/process standards (e.g. MISRA, ASPICE) and physical interfaces/protocols (Automotive Ethernet, CAN bus, UDS/DoIP/DoCAN)
- Validation of bootloaders, secure boot, secure firmware update (e.g. OTA)
- Validation of embedded real-time and POSIX operating systems and applications built upon them
- Experience with one or more functional safety standards (e.g., ISO 26262, IEC 62304, IEC 61508, DO-178)
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $200,000 to $254,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.