Manager, Motion Planning Compute
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
The Planner Computing team focuses on the design and development of GPU-accelerated architectures, algorithms, and tools to enable efficient decision-making and motion planning. The team is responsible for one of the core Planner components which integrates basic physics and temporal logic models and machine-learned (ML) models, to provide a foundation for efficient search and optimization. The main objective of the team is to achieve low-latency parallel computation that enables the real-time generation of safe and high-performant robot motions.
We are looking for an experienced manager with a strong background in high-performance parallel GPU-accelerated computing. The candidate will be responsible for working with the team to set the technical direction, evolve the current architecture and break new ground in analyzing and improving computational efficiency. The team collaborates closely with multiple groups across Planner and Zoox including search/optimization, behavioral modeling, cost design, prediction and perception. As a leader of the Planner Computing team, the candidate will interact and coordinate efforts across multiple such teams and play a critical role in the evolution of the AI stack at Zoox. If you are passionate about efficient parallel architectures and algorithms and their deployment on a novel robot platform, we would like to hear from you.
- Lead the design and development of GPU/CUDA architectures and algorithms to enable efficient decision-making
- Set the short and long-term technical direction for the team and collaborate on broader, company-wide directions
- Collaborate with the team members in technical design considerations, implementation, and on-vehicle testing
- Coordinate cross-functional initiatives with other teams across Planning, Prediction, Infrastructure, and Software Systems among others
- Grow the team through hiring and guide the continued professional development of team members
- Extensive experience with GPU/CUDA C++ architectures and algorithms
- Extensive experience in analyzing, debugging, and optimizing the performance of complex algorithms and systems
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Experience with managing highly-technical teams of 5+ engineers
- Relevant experience in the area of autonomous driving, gaming industry, high-fidelity simulation, or other high-performance computing field
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related field
- PhD in related field
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $220,000 to $320,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.